Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GLOCK SPLITS

rsotelo

What is a good time for draws and splits with a glock? I shoot a G34 and G35 and was wondering what to use as a baseline for "GOOD", vs "SLOW". This question goes out to all and I am especially interested in Matt Mink's times and he is a GM and I think he would fit the "FAST" category.

Matt Mink: What are your draws and splits with your .40 glock?

Thanks,

RS

Here's a slow baseline, from a B....

I've been working a bunch on this lately. On a 7 yard paper target from a kydex belt holster I can do single shot draw pretty repeatable somewhere in the .8x range. On the same target my splits run from .17 to .20. I'm still not able to manupulate the Glock trigger as well as a 1911 trigger. :huh: But it's much better since CV worked his magic... ;)

Now move the target out to 25 yards and my draw goes WAY UP to 1.65 and sometimes more....This is something I'm working on! Splits go up to around .50.

I did find myself doing something BAD on the 25 yard draw. :( I caught myself slowing my whole draw down, rather than drawing at normal speed and spending time as needed to see what I needed from the sights. :wacko: I'm struggling with "prepping" the Glock trigger....sometimes it goes before I'd really like it to...which causes me to not prepp soon enough sometimes! :wacko:

More dry fire...more trigger time! :rolleyes:

I think you may be going at this from the wrong direction. Splits reflect your improving ability to see what's going on. Matt Mink sees a helluva lot, hence his split times will reflect that. Trying to adjust your split times to match some external, artificial metric won't do anything to help you.

Make your goal to see exactly what you need to see before you trigger the shot. Eventually, you'll become better at seeing and your split times will reflect that.

Exactly what Eric said.

Speed comes from being relaxed and seeing.

If you need a goal...look toward the Bill Drill. That is a draw and 6 Alpha (only) hits. Which works out to a one second draw and (5)splits of 0.20 seconds. I'd suggest doing this drill at progressive distances. Start in close (5-7y) and, once you achieve the 6 Alphas in 2 seconds, move the distance out by a yard.

Ron brought up an interesting point about all of the different guns should shoot similar splits, because you need to shoot when you are seeing what you need to see. However, I shoot Glocks the fastest since I have the most trigger time with them.

Now to answer your question. In practice the other day, I was playing around with moving from one shooting position to another, paying particular attention to the time it took from the last shot from one position, to the first shot at the other position. I wasn't trying to get good splits. I wasn't trying for a fast draw. After my second run, I took a peek at the draw/splits. I was drawing to a hardcover target about 6 yards away and the first shot was usually 1.0-1.1 sec. Split was usually .14-.16. After I got to the other position, my splits were usually .13-.14 on 3 yard hoser targets. I about fell over when I saw a couple of .11's. Had more than a few .12's. But, I was just shooting what I saw, I wasn't trying to blaze it down. And I'm not known for a blazingly fast draw either. I tend to get a slower safer draw and make up for it by having faster transitions and splits. Hope that helps!

There is no difference between my draw and splits be it a Glock, high zoot 1911, or all out Open blaster. Should there be a difference?

Ron,

The way I understand it, if you have perfect trigger control, read the sights equally well, and the muzzle flip is similar in all those guns, then there should be no difference for somebody at your level.

With my experience, I will definitely take longer to work the trigger on my CZ 85 Combat, than on my CZ Champion. The 85C muzzle flips a bit higher and takes longer to come back. The draw time could probably be almost the same if I didn/t have to start with hammer down when shooting 85C in Prod division. I realize that some of the difference is due to lack of skills, but I still think that equipment matters, does it not? I'd appreciate your input on this.

As to what slow draw/split times can be, here it goes:

(CZ85, hammer down, class C, Bill Drill @ 7 yards)

Draw 1.68, Total time 2.68 ( So splits are .2 on average )

I just got a G35 and shot probably around 300 rounds through it. I KNOW it is going to take me some while before I'll be able to shoot Glock with the same times.

And yes, I do need Charlie Vanek's help with that too - the gun is on it's way as we speak.

Splits,Draws they count but real efiecent shoters make up time on transition.

A class L-10 Glock 24 custom

match draws .85 to 1.25 (depends on scenario)

match splits .11 to .20 (depends on range)

To improve your draws and splits set realistic goals and work on them daily thru dry fire or simulation using air soft or live fire.

I personaly like walking out back with a air soft and doing 100 draws and shooting my tin can lid plate rack. The plate rack is awsome for transition.

The air soft is quite acurate out to 20 m . You can shoot the head off a clover at 10 paces with ease.

JOHNNIE

My splits with a G35 at targets under 10 yds run from a low of .13 to .17. It all depends on how I am seeing the front sight. I am one of those old shooters that just can't seem to learn how to "index" shoot.

I was actually working on just how fast I could draw and fire one -0 shot today on an IDPA target at 5 yds without a vest. I was able to get several shots in the .75-.78 range with one perfect one in .65. Not too bad for a $15 Blade-Teck holster.

My realistic times with a vest on during a match run about 1.20 - 1.40.

The reality of all this is splits and draws are somewhat unimportant. Transitions and quick movements are what win matches. Look at an IDPA stage that takes a shooter say 16 seconds to fire 13 shots. The actual draw and split times may only take 3.5 - 5 seconds of the total. It is what is going on when you are not drawing or pulling the trigger that determines the match winner.

I shot a stage at the 2004 Al IDPA State Championship match a few weeks ago in 16.14 seconds with 0 down. That was the second fastest time on that stage. Dave Sevigney shot it in 13.41 seconds. His raw time was 12.41. I don't think there was any way I could have shot it faster than 16 seconds. Dave is so quick in his movement and transitions. What makes it even better is he was shooting a G37 with factory ammo. I hate to think what he would have shot that stage in with his G34.