Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Gen 4 exchange program

ninemmbill

Thanks for posting this!

Is something wrong with the Gen 4 recoil spring assemblies or is just a not-functionally-different design change? Glock almost never admits to anything being wrong with their stuff, so hard to tell if something's really wrong or not.

Called this AM, couldn't get through, called in the PM and finally got someone, who said they were just getting killed with people calling in.

They said they'd mail it out to me in the next 2-3 weeks, after which I'd send them the old RSA. Pretty easy to deal with. Just hope the new RSA gets in soon and actually works fine.

Called this AM, couldn't get through, called in the PM and finally got someone, who said they were just getting killed with people calling in.

They said they'd mail it out to me in the next 2-3 weeks, after which I'd send them the old RSA. Pretty easy to deal with. Just hope the new RSA gets in soon and actually works fine.

Good to know that they don't make you send in your existing RSA first thus leaving you with a non-functioning Glock... however by some horror stories I've heard, I guess having the old RSA was just like having a non-functioning Glock

I must have lucked out. I haven't had problems with my RSA. When I shoot Minor ammo, I do have to switch out to a lighter RSA, but if I shoot factory / Major ammo, the RSA has been working okay... so far!

Good to know that they don't make you send in your existing RSA first thus leaving you with a non-functioning Glock... however by some horror stories I've heard, I guess having the old RSA was just like having a non-functioning Glock

Is something wrong with these? I've got about 2000 rounds through mine with only one stove pipe. I've only been shooting WWB, though. I haven't tried anything else. Gun is bone stock with the exception of a drop of my daughter's hot pink nail polish on the front sight.

• 2 months later...

Ha! At first I thought this thread was going to say Glock was going to let guys exchange their problem Gen4's for Gen3's that work properly...

Considering the Gen4's have been out for 2 years and that they're still putting out new RSA's, revised ejectors and such (which is expensive and 180 degrees from what they probably had in mind with Glock's history of parts sharing/interchangeability), I'm starting to wonder when they may hit the tipping point of where it makes better business sense to shut down the plagued Gen4 design and focus on getting a better working Gen5 to market.... sheesh.

Edited by ck1

The Gen-4 double rod/spring system actually makes sense in .40 S&W, and I could see its value in something like a .357 SIG or 10mm Auto, arguably even in .45 ACP. But in 9mm? Not needed. Thus far the Gen-4 RSA has only proven really problematic in 9mm - which is ironically the caliber that didn't need it to start with. :rolleyes:

bought a Gen 4 Glock 17, came with the new RSA but had to send it back to get the new ejector installed. Having a problem with erratic ejection, brass hitting me on the face.

Same here, just picked it up a week ago. I actually felt a difference in the recoil impulse from 2 range rental guns (a gen 3 and a gen 4 G17 with factory ammo). It is interesting how the ejection pattern on the brand new G17 I purchased pretty much sprayed all over including into my face a few times. Then, when I put in my 133pf handloads, that problem disappeared. I could have put a 5 gallon bucket and caught all of the casings to my 4:30 position with my hand loads.

bought a Gen 4 Glock 17, came with the new RSA but had to send it back to get the new ejector installed. Having a problem with erratic ejection, brass hitting me on the face.

Same here, just picked it up a week ago. I actually felt a difference in the recoil impulse from 2 range rental guns (a gen 3 and a gen 4 G17 with factory ammo). It is interesting how the ejection pattern on the brand new G17 I purchased pretty much sprayed all over including into my face a few times. Then, when I put in my 133pf handloads, that problem disappeared. I could have put a 5 gallon bucket and caught all of the casings to my 4:30 position with my hand loads.

Mine was the opposite, when I ran 120PF the brass ejection was more consistent. With 130PF it was all over the place. Anyway, today I got my lower back from Glock (10 day turn around) with the new ejector installed. Will get to test it this week end.