Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification Required?

swatcop

Hey Everybody,

I am considering joining USPSA and shooting some major matches. I have been shooting IDPA and am currently a two gun master. My question deals with classification. I understand that I need to shoot atleast 4 classifiers to get classified however the local clubs in my area are not close enough for my taste to make them on a regular basis. I would prefer to just hit several major matches. Do I need to be classified to shoot a major match. While looking at some major match scores I see some people ranked as "U". Am I assuming correctly that this stands for unknown. If this is the case, how would I be classified for the purpose of match scoring. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, you can shoot any match without a classification. However, only classed shooters will be recognized....

which means Major USPSA matches do not have trophies for unclassified shooters.

They do if you win your division. :devil:

I was under the understanding that if you compete in a major match (say, an Area championship), that ur % of match point also counts as a classifier. Anyone know that to be true or false?

you can shoot "U", but I don't believe you can win for your class (the U class) unless you win your division, as was said.

also, as was pointed out, hitting a local match or 2 would be beneficial, if nothing more than adapting to some of the differences between the games.

I was under the understanding that if you compete in a major match (say, an Area championship), that ur % of match point also counts as a classifier. Anyone know that to be true or false?

you can shoot "U", but I don't believe you can win for your class (the U class) unless you win your division, as was said.

also, as was pointed out, hitting a local match or 2 would be beneficial, if nothing more than adapting to some of the differences between the games.

There has to be at least 3 GMs in your division and they have to shoot to GM Level for your match results to count as a classifier.

edit: here is the actual wording of how it works. I thought it was 3 GMs but looks like I made that up!

Scores From Major Matches

A shooter’s performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help establish a classification. In order for overall scores from a Level II or Level III match to be entered as a classifier, the match director must submit an Application for Level II or Level III match with the "Results for Classification" check box marked. Please note that there is no guarantee that the overall results will be used. As a minimum requirement, the results and competitor list will be reviewed at the USPSA office to determine whether enough top shooters completed the match and performed at a level high enough to be considered a national standard.

Edited by waktasz

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Are classifier stages ever included in major matches and do those count towards classification?

Sometimes you get both - a classifier stage and the match as well!

And if you get on the email list or other communication from the local clubs you might hear about a Special Classifier match. That is a match that USPSA clubs sometimes do that has 6 classifier stages. Enough to get an initial classification in one match. Even if you don't get to shoot them regularly, stay in touch with those clubs.

Tim

And if you get on the email list or other communication from the local clubs you might hear about a Special Classifier match. That is a match that USPSA clubs sometimes do that has 6 classifier stages. Enough to get an initial classification in one match. Even if you don't get to shoot them regularly, stay in touch with those clubs.

Tim