Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 Clamp on gas blocks

jamesp81

I have a scope (trijicon) I'm using on my 20in AR-15, however, the shadow of the front sight post is quite visible and annoying.

I was considering a low profile, clamp on gas block to replace the A2 front sight base. But before I do that, I want to know if these are considered reliable and secure enough for serious use. I would like to take some multi-day carbine classes, and possibly even do some 3-gun, so it's going to get handled roughly and shot a lot. It may also be the tool I grab should I need it for self defense, unlikely as that is.

So before I spend money, I want to solicit opinions on this community's feelings about clamp on gas blocks and their reliability.

Ok, this is not a good answer about gas blocks but if you are having trouble with your sight post, take a saw & cut off the top, just leaving the gas block, more or less. Friend of mine did that to his & with a little care, a file & some work, you would not know it used to hold a front sight, it just looks like a gas block. Of course you could tell if you knew but really, if this is a "go to" gun, does it matter how it looks? Still reliable as ever, doesn't cost anything but time & solves your problem.

MLM

Clamp on gas blocks are reliable and secure.

The clamping force they have on the gas block seat is enormous.

Many (most) 3gunners use them.

Ever see any serious 3gun rifles up close? Dings dents, scratches, etc...it doesn't get much more "hard use" than 3gun.

Don't believe everything you read on arfcom. Zombies are not going to grab your gas block during a firefight and pull it off.

My Firebird mini gas block holds great. That said I had a chopped down sight for years. I Dremeled the snot out of it and painted it with high temp paint. It looked like it belonged there. I've seen guys just cut them flat across the top and call it good. It works.

Look close at the "low profile" offerings from DPMS, Remington, Bushmaster, ect (i see them everyday in the shop)... They are ground down A2 fs/gb. Work just fine.

that being said, if you go for an aftermarket unit, choose one that pinches together at the bottom, and not the one with mere set screws that insert from the 6 o'clock and press against the bottom of the barrel. The "pinch" has much more bearing surface with the barrel, more friction, and has a much, much lesser chance of walking under recoil or abuse than the other.

One like this: http://firebirdprecision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=26

The Syrac fully adjustable gas block is simple to adjust. All you need to do to adjust is press in the ball detent lock and then adjust the hex screw in or out as needed.  This gas is hands down the simplest full adjustable gas block I have ever used and due to it's built in locking system there is no need to worry about it adjusting on you without your knowledge, I will be running this block on every upper I build and recommending it everyone running an AR style gas system.

That Syrac does look like a good unit, but it uses set screws rather than clamp-on. As was said above that attachment method may not be quite as secure.

I have a question about installing any of these units. Is there a trick to getting the gas ports in the barrel and the gas block to line up properly?

I was given a low profile gas block that only had the set screw. It did not clamp on. It worked ok but wanted to get a little loose after awhile. Liked the block so I ended up putting a small dimple in the barrel for the set screw to better hold.

Looking back, I would have just cut down my original A1 front sight and be done with it.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.