Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Benelli M2 Field assembly question

Nimitz

So my new M2 Field just arrived today and I wanted to get it ready to take to the range tomorrow. This is my first shotgun so I carefully followed the first time assembly directions (or so I thought) and ended up with the gun looking as in the attached pic. I'm pretty sure this is not right ... shouldn't the bolt go completely forward & close? I've taken the barrel off several times & tried reassembling but it comes out the same. Can anyone talk me through what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

post-32005-0-03387500-1314927570_thumb.j

From what I can see in the pic, it looks right. The front of the bolt (not sure of the technical term), should rotate a little so that the extractor is up towards the top. Sometimes if I just ease the bolt forward, it will look like that. Try pulling the bolt back about halfway and then just let go and see if it doesn't rotate up. IIRC, you can't load shells when it is in that position. Hope this helps!

The gun seems to function correctly ... I had a friend of mine who knows a fair amount about shotguns (but he's never owned a Benelli) come over to look at it. We loaded a spring cap in the gun, closed the bolt and were able to fire the trigger & successfully extract the spring cap. I just assumed that when you closed the bolt it would cover the entire port & the extractor would not be visible at all .... maybe this was just a bad assumption on my part?

One other thing, the manual says that when you put the foregrip onto the barrel it should snap into place ... mine does not do that, the foregrip slides onto the barrel guide ring but the other end does not snap into place. I have to hold the foregrip against the barrel as I slide the barrel onto the receiver. Is this a problem?

Edited by Nimitz

ok, thanks. I'll work the action some more before I take it to the range. The manual suggested running a box or two of game loads through the gun before switching to target loads so I have that for the first time I'll shoot it as well ...

thx. that's actually what mine looks like (I think). I took the gun to the range yesterday for the first time & and put a box of shells through it with no issue ... except it brought up another question. The magazine says " 3 +1" which I thought meant 2 in the mag & 1 in the chamber but only 2 rounds fit. When I took the magazine apart there is a red rod which extends inside the mag spring which looks pretty long & which I assume is the reason the 3rd round won't fit. Is there a shorter rod which I can put in there?

post-32005-0-86314700-1315656924_thumb.j

thx. that's actually what mine looks like (I think). I took the gun to the range yesterday for the first time & and put a box of shells through it with no issue ... except it brought up another question. The magazine says " 3 +1" which I thought meant 2 in the mag & 1 in the chamber but only 2 rounds fit. When I took the magazine apart there is a red rod which extends inside the mag spring which looks pretty long & which I assume is the reason the 3rd round won't fit. Is there a shorter rod which I can put in there?

funny, your bolt says "Benelli Intertia System" and mine says "Benelli Armi System"

So the mag spring just sits right up agains the little magazine end cap? hmmm ... when did you say you bought the gun? It's an M2 Field right? Looks like you replaced the bolt handle for the lg handle, right?

Yes, if you don't want to use the spacer for hunting (or to limit your tube), then the spring should rest right on the endcap.

Mine is a 24" M2 field that I bought off someone on this forum new. I've had it for about a month. I replaced the handle with the Nordic large one.