Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P16 Extractor Trouble

john308

I have been shooting Glocks for quite a while, but I came across a great deal on a P16 Limited a few months ago. After I got my load OAL sorted out, it has been running great. Well, at a match the other day, I had three failures to extract, with the brass remaining in the chamber. Two of the failures occurred on the same course of fire. I have had an intermittent failure every now and again over the past few months, but with three in the same match, I think its time to finally do something about it now.

I have been reading through this forum, as well as others, and it looks like most people are putting in a sleeve and then running an Aftec extractor. My question is why everyone seems to be running an Aftec vs some other brand? It looks like once I put the sleeve in, I can run pretty much any extractor I want, correct? I don't mind forking over a little extra for an Aftec, I just want to get it right the first time. Thanks for the help.

-John

I believe it's purely preference. Either works well and the choice is cost and/or bragging rights.. I still run traditional extractor on my Para Open Pistol. My slide is Caspian and uses the regular extractor. I'm running 100%

A Gunsmith friend swears by it and it does work well. I can see how the tension due to 2 piece design and inner springs can be more consistent over a long period of time vs. the traditional which uses the "bend" for tension.

I'm sure someone with more exact knowledge will step up to this but for what it's worth I have 2 P16's. Both had extractor problems. One had the stock "Power" extractor which I had Derek at Millenium Custom replace with the Aftec. The other came to me already sleeved and I had an aftermarket standard 1911 extractor installed. Both work as advertised and my hands, tho not educated like some, can't tell a difference. I don't put as many rounds downrange as some so I'll probably never see another failure. That was my objective to begin with. As I understand it, the Aftec is more reliable and relatively easy to repair over the long haul which is a factor to high round count shooters. I suspect it's more like a choice between a Holly 4 barrel and fuel injection than anything. Both have worked for me and I'm sure they will work for you. There are a lot of those decisions in our sport just like anything that requires equipment. To some guys a hemi Charger isn't enough - gotta have a Top Fuel dragster. You just have to decide how much performance you want. :cheers:

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I put the sleeve and EGW HD extractor in my P14 and it has run flawlessly ever since. I was going to go with the Aftec by my gunsmith had the EGW on hand so I figured I'd give it a try.

what kind of locktite did you use for the sleeve?...thanks

I put the sleeve and EGW HD extractor in my P14 and it has run flawlessly ever since. I was going to go with the Aftec by my gunsmith had the EGW on hand so I figured I'd give it a try.

what kind of locktite did you use for the sleeve?...thanks

When I put mine in, I used blue locktite. Since then, I have around 600 rounds downrange between practice and matches. Everything seems to be working fine. Make sure that you clean and degrease the extractor channel really well before you put yours in.

-John

I found a botlle of loctite 680...well suited for the intended use..I'm getting one...my EGW are still on the way...how far forward do you need to go?...all the way until the breech face?..I hadn't seen one yet..

The sleeve isn't quite as long as the extractor channel. I pushed mine in until it was flush with the breach face. The instructions say to wait 24 hours for the locktite to cure/dry before installing the extractor or using your pistol.

-John

I found a botlle of loctite 680...well suited for the intended use..I'm getting one...my EGW are still on the way...how far forward do you need to go?...all the way until the breech face?..I hadn't seen one yet..

The sleeve isn't quite as long as the extractor channel. I pushed mine in until it was flush with the breach face. The instructions say to wait 24 hours for the locktite to cure/dry before installing the extractor or using your pistol.

-John

thank you!!

Edited by fishpinoy27

• 3 weeks later...

-John

Make sure you use some acetone or something equally good to really clean the extractor bore. ANY oil or grease in there can and probably will break the bond between the slide and the sleeve. Go ahead, DON'T ask how I know that!!! :angry2: I'm using a Caspian extractor in my 6" slide and after I turned the extractor it's ran 100%. Now I need to find somebody that's good with a mill and get the slide lightened. It's awful slow.

Some uncomfirmed unknown to me person posted on 1911forum that Para may be getting extractor's built by EGW that will not require the sleeve or locktite.

This is 3rd/4th hand internet forum rumour stuff so take it for what that is worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Go TT,

Travis Tomasie is his name and after he read my post in the reliability thread he wrote me and offered a new extractor for free! Here is his last email to me.

Hi David,

Your extractor shipped today. It's a one piece, machined EGW HD made for the PXT hole. It is a thing of beauty and will really take your 16-40 to the next level. Thank you for choosing Para!

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Best regards,

TT

I am glad to hear a firsthand report that the new one piece extractor exists.

Please let us know your experience with it.

I recommend Para's to shooters who can't quite pony up the cash for an S_I. I have some.

It would be nice not to have to include the caveat about the PXT extractor.

The effort that Mr. Tomasie is putting into Para is great to see.

I hope he has the support he needs to do so & is successful.

It is looking good so far.