Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extarctors

sauza45

I am having an Open gun built and the gunsmith said he does not use Aftec extractors anymore. I have one in my limited gun and have not had any trouble.

I was told the new ones were not as good as the old ones and he has had issues with them.

If you trust your gunsmith enough to build you a gun, shouldn't you trust him enough to make the best decision for the gun he is building? If a customer of mine second guessed me on an open forum, he would never be a customer of mine again.

Unless the OP deleted something before I read this, I don't see a "second guess". Sounds to me like a simple statement saying the OP never had a problem with Aftec but his gunsmith says they are not what they used to be and it appears from what I see that he is taking the smith's advice to heart and posting what his smith said about Aftec.

I just had an IDPA ESP gun done and my smith said the same thing when I told him I had used Aftec before and been pleased with it. I went with his advice and we put a conventional in.

I am not second guessing him I will be going with his advise, I was just wondering how many use the Aftec and if you were having any troubles.

He has built other guns for me and I can say they have run 100%. That is why I trust him.

Edited by sauza45

I prefer whatever JPL has tuned for my gun :) Really, I think it comes down to the gunsmiths tuning and adjusting any of the high quality parts on the market for your gun more than dropping in 'the right brand' and having it run.

~Mitch

It is your gun. Your paying to have a custom gun built. If you want an AFTEC then provide it and go forward,

AFTEC has to many positive aspects not to use em. AFTEC is (mostly) a plug and play. If the firing pin stop is cut for an AFTEC, then you can just replace it if it fails (which is rare). Most of the time you just replace the two little springs and away you go.

All other variations of extractors WILL loose tension sooner than later and you will be sending the gun back to the smith for re-tension/replacement of the extractor. All those words mean more $$ and gun downtime.

I am having an Open gun built and the gunsmith said he does not use Aftec extractors anymore. I have one in my limited gun and have not had any trouble.

I was told the new ones were not as good as the old ones and he has had issues with them.

Must be a personal issue on your smith's end, Derek can't make enough of em to keep up with demand. Not because they break either.

Voted for conventional extractors for both Limited and Open. Limited gun came with the builders proprietary barstock extractor. I had my Open gun built with an AFTEC, but if I could do it over again I would use the same barstock extractor thats in the Limited gun. Bought the extractor tensioning tool and gauges from Brownells so re-tensioning the extractor is a snap. Before every major match or once a year. Plus no springs or cap to lose. An AFTEC that was in my other Limited gun cracked, so my confidence is a little shaken. Probably just a rare lemon though.