Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok to shoot my class 3 in matches?

Bill_J

Hi everyone,

A few questions....

Ive been working outside of the US for a few years and just moved back. So I sold off most of my guns other then my Class 3, AOW, and kept a few normal guns that would be hard to replace. Had to get down to one gun safe for storage while I was gone.

Thinking of shooting Tac Iron. I looked at the rules and did not see anything that would disallow it... but you guys know how it really works so figure its better to ask.

The only AR I own right now is my full auto M16 with a 12" barrel. I can put a silencer on it to bring it to 16" if need be.

Will I be okay showing up to a 3 gun match and shooting it only in semi auto?

Hope it is okay to toss in a shotgun question so I don't have to make 2 posts.

In the same type of situation with the shotgun. The only shotgun I have is a 14" Benelli entry gun. Would that be okay? Or do I need to spend a few $ and just pick up a used 1100 or 1187? I'm okay with doing that as I will want a backup shotgun for whatever I decide to go with in the end (thinking saiga).

I know going in I will be way under classed but I'm in it to catch back up and see what is new and shinny, have some fun. Get to shoot some other peoples equipment and figure out what I like. Then go spend the money on real gear, so it is only a short term 4 or 5 matches type of thing.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bill

Yes you can use them in semi auto. You'll be way under classed as you mentioned.

Be aware that in many stages you will have to dump your guns into barrels and such. That might be a bit off-putting to do with a $12K M16.

Yes you can use them in semi auto. You'll be way under classed as you mentioned.

Be aware that in many stages you will have to dump your guns into barrels and such. That might be a bit off-putting to do with a $12K M16.

My 16 is a already beat up sear gun, so no problem on that getting banged about.

Think I will go look for a shotgun today tho...

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would think you would want a shotgun with a bit more barrel. I would suggest at least a 21". Steel at much distance at all with bird shot is gonna be darn near impossible with a 14" gun. I personally shoot a 26" but if I had lots of extra dollars for a new barrel, I'd drop back to a 24". If you go with a shorter barrel, think about a tight choke in it. That will help offset the length constraints.

Good luck, have fun, & welcome back!

MLM

Yeah the 14" Benelli's aren't threaded for chokes and are cylinder bore....so most steel targets are going to laugh at you. However, if the match allows, run Federal Flight Control #4's or 00 buckshot and you will have no problems.

Suppressor will put you in Open in most matches, as will a Saiga.

21, 22 and 24 inch guns are the most common in the Tactical Shotgun classes. Benellis and FN SLPs are the most popular for good reasons. The Mossy 930s, and Remmy 1100s are next. With Benelli, FNH, Mossberg and Remington all coming out with new shotguns aimed at the Tactical/3Gun crowd, it might be good to wait on a shotgun purchase. If you are going to spend more than maybe $400, I'd borrow for a few months and see what shakes out.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I don't even own a car or a house, but bought 3 guns today :roflol:. Man I missed living in America!

Just picked up a Glock 23 for carry, and then a 21 and 35 for matches.

Last time I bought a gun in Kuwaiti it took a little over 7 months from the time I submitted my paperwork till I had a gun in hand. That was for a over under 12ga shotgun to shoot trap with!

Information overload on AR's right now. Went to 5 different gun shops, and must have looked at 50 completely different set up AR's. So going to stick with my M16 for a bit till I read and get some trigger time on different setups.

MarkCo Thanks for the tip on the suppressor bumping me to open.

boomfab, mlmiller1. Im ditching the plans on shooting the Benelli. My dealer (and friend since High School) is loaning me a 1100 that is already kinda set up, just needs a few tings like side saddle and tac latch, probably a new mag spring. Some surgery on the gas ports and it will be ready to rock.

D.Hayden I have not decided where I am going to move to just yet so no real idea of what club's I will be shooting at.

So excited to get to the range tomorrow, I have not shot a handgun in 2 years.

Around here, you could use it, but only in semi. Of the clubs that shoot 3 gun here, one doesn't allow FA and the other does, but only on select bays. Best bet is to check with the MD at the club you are attending.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I don't even own a car or a house, but bought 3 guns today :roflol:. Man I missed living in America!

Just picked up a Glock 23 for carry, and then a 21 and 35 for matches.

Last time I bought a gun in Kuwaiti it took a little over 7 months from the time I submitted my paperwork till I had a gun in hand. That was for a over under 12ga shotgun to shoot trap with!

Information overload on AR's right now. Went to 5 different gun shops, and must have looked at 50 completely different set up AR's. So going to stick with my M16 for a bit till I read and get some trigger time on different setups.

MarkCo Thanks for the tip on the suppressor bumping me to open.

boomfab, mlmiller1. Im ditching the plans on shooting the Benelli. My dealer (and friend since High School) is loaning me a 1100 that is already kinda set up, just needs a few tings like side saddle and tac latch, probably a new mag spring. Some surgery on the gas ports and it will be ready to rock.

D.Hayden I have not decided where I am going to move to just yet so no real idea of what club's I will be shooting at.

So excited to get to the range tomorrow, I have not shot a handgun in 2 years.

Hi Bill,

Where were you at in Kuwait? I was there too for many years. I did the same thing, when I came back home, I purchased several guns all at the same time. I tried to get into the equestrian club where they had the skeet range but it was a real uphill battle without the right connections. Write back when you get time, thanks

I've only shot a couple m-16's and don't really care for the trigger at all. Fun? Hell yes. Nice clean breaking trigger? Not on the two I shot. But the great thing is you have a rifle. Use it. pay attention to what other people are using and ask to try shoot other folk's guns. After a while, you'll know exactly what you want and you can build or have built a rifle to your specs. The 1100 should do fine but after a while you'll probably want to upgrade there as well. If nothing else, for reliability's sake.

Just my $.025

J-Ho

pay attention to what other people are using and ask to try shoot other folk's guns.

Since he has an M16 to offer in return, I expect most folks will be even happier than usual to offer up their guns to try.

Hi Bill,

Where were you at in Kuwait?.....

Hey GNg

I spent the majority of my time in the Burgan field and Shuaiba Refinery. I actually went over in 91 with Safety Boss to put out the fires, and essentially stayed off and on for the last 20 years. Working various jobs with KNPC and KOC etc. Two or three years there then a year home. This last stint I have seen the writing on the wall and it's time to be home for good. Would not want to be anywhere in the gulf or North Africa for a while.

Still going to do a lot of consulting work, but little to no travel (I hope).

Talking about connections that place is more crooked then Chicago in the 20's. My boss had an in with the Al Sabah Family is the only reason we were allowed to get the permit.

Hi Jar

Ain't that the truth lol, don't think I've ever met a shooter to turn down full auto trigger time....

Thanks J-Ho

About what I'm thinking, too many dang options out there for the AR end of the equation to make any real quick decision I know Ill be happy with. In the end Ill end up with 3 or 4 but want it to be the right 3 or 4! Not quite rip van winkle as I have been keeping up on the "modern AR stuff" but reading something on the internet and shooting it in person are rather different. Yep my trigger is junk to anyone who knows what a good trigger is... Last time I looked timney didn't make a M16 fire control parts :P Plus mine is a drop in auto sear gun making it twice as bad - 5 lbs with enough take up and over travel to order a sandwich.

Wow k. easton

Any club/org that has regular Belt Fed matches is my type of joint! Honestly not that far out of the realm of possibilities. I'm seriously considering moving to the Oregon Coast so not that far of a drive to you once I get squared away.

"Hey GNg

I spent the majority of my time in the Burgan field and Shuaiba Refinery. I actually went over in 91 with Safety Boss to put out the fires, and essentially stayed off and on for the last 20 years. Working various jobs with KNPC and KOC etc. Two or three years there then a year home. This last stint I have seen the writing on the wall and it's time to be home for good. Would not want to be anywhere in the gulf or North Africa for a while.

Still going to do a lot of consulting work, but little to no travel (I hope).

Talking about connections that place is more crooked then Chicago in the 20's. My boss had an in with the Al Sabah Family is the only reason we were allowed to get the permit."

I was there originally in '92 when the fires where just about out, thanks :) I worked at Camp Doha at that time. Stayed several years, left and then returned in 2002 before the invasion but this time at Arifjan. Spent a few more years before going to Iraq and then Asia. Yeah, if you knew anyone in the Sabah family, you were golden. It wasn't a bad time, learned a lot and got to travel.

Do you remember that restaurant called Chicken Tikka? What I would give right now for some of that :)

Glad you are back safe...Take care...

Take a look at rifles from Firebird and JP. It doesn't get much better than that.

That or I'll trade you one of mine for that crummy old m-16. That way you don't have to worry about having a bad trigger. I'll suffer through it just cause I'm such a nice guy. ;)

Do you remember that restaurant called Chicken Tikka? What I would give right now for some of that :)

Glad you are back safe...Take care...

Was it a Paki/Indian worker type place? Or something more for the Kuwaitis/Westerners? The place Im thinking of was maybe 4th or 5th ring like over where the used car market thing is. So real hole in the wall worker joint. I've eaten In and Out Burger everyday for the past two weeks, swear they are going to start shouting "Norm!!!" every time I walk in from now on hahahaha. Think its going to be a while till I can look at Indian food! However when at the store today I was totally lusting for lugaimat or zalabia... Saffron Syurp is not stocked at Kroger lol.

Take a look at rifles from Firebird and JP. It doesn't get much better than that.

That or I'll trade you one of mine for that crummy old m-16. That way you don't have to worry about having a bad trigger. I'll suffer through it just cause I'm such a nice guy. ;)

Ive been looking hard at Firebird. Who ever thought up having all you guys put the red Firebird team thing in your sig lines, it worked!

Man you would trade??? Such a deal!!! (for one of us :roflol: )

In other news spent 3 hours on the pistol range today, and another 2 at the rifle range. Got a chance to shoot a LaRue OBR in 223, and was very impressed with the accuracy out past 400 yards. When the heck did AR's become able to do that?

Have to go digging through my storage unit tomorrow to see what I have for gear, then probably spend the national debt of Zimbabwe at brownells and so on getting the basics back together to start training seriously.