Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini 14

Dan Hefta

Thanks for all the replys! :cheers: I shot it after a USPSA match on Saturday and liked it, so I told my buddy that I would take it. I already have a Tasco Intrafuse stock, an optic and three more 30 round mags ordered for it.... now I need to start building up a good supply of ammo. I reload pistol and have a SDB so reloading rifle is not an option.... yet

Not a whole lot of love for the Mini! I have to say, they aren't the most competitive rifle in the world. It does remind me of a smaller, less accurate M1A (M14). It was where I started in 3-gun (shot my first SMM3Gun with it, and hit a bonus target) but upgraded to an AR that can be what I need it to be. IMHO there are two scenarios for having a Mini:

1. you live in CA and want to shoot your Hi Capacity magazines that you happened to find in the trash at the range...

2. you want a fun, easy to shoot rifle that mimics an M1A, at Garand prices, and shoots cheaper .223 ammo. Which is what it sounds like the OP wants.

There are definitely worse guns out there on the market. Have fun with it!

I received the Tapco Intrafuse stock and installed it, this mod really is nice and makes my Mini 14 look badass. I am going to have a lot of fun shooting this cool little carbine. Just need to stock up on more ammo! :cheers:

I've said it a number of times before, but I'd love a Mini M-14. Ol' Bill Ruger was too proud I guess to copy the whole darn thing, but we'd have been a whole lot better off if he'd had.

The AC556 version of the mini-14 is a blast and fun to shoot. And you can actually hit stuff with it too!! Just takes a little and costs a little more.....no need for sights either!! :cheers:

I had a newer model Mini 14 target model with the heavy barrel and the harmonic dampner. The newer Mini's have a much better barrel. It was a MOA shooter at 100 yards and it shot well at 200 yards. I never shot it past 200 yards so I can't tell you much about that accuracy. One of the nice features is how easy it is to change out the stock. It had the heavy black laminate stock with a thumbhole for the range and I picked up a Hogue overmolded stock for the field. Could change it out in about 5 minutes. It shot any ammo you could put thru it.They said only to shoot .223 not 5.56 ammo thru this model, but the tactical and ranch will shoot both. I had a fairly cheap, but higher power scope on it. It was one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I had many compliments on the looks and accuracy at the range, always caught everyone's attention. I know lots of guys who have the new models with the better barrels and are very happy with the accuracy. Can't compare the new ones with the older models with the thin lightweight barrels. When I got into 3-gun it got sacrificed to buy my DPMS 3G, but I would definetly buy another new model.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TargetRifle/models.html

• 2 months later...

There are definitely worse guns out there on the market. Have fun with it!

I can't think of much worse actually. They don't hold up well to sustained use either.

They are fine for what they were made for. A light use truck carbine to shoot the occaisional animal that is a nussance on the farm.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...