Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing Small Parts

midget

I've now lost several pins and springs in my work area... Its hard wood... I swear there is a gremlin coming and picking them up...

Time to order another .20$ part and pay 8$ for shipping...*Face Palm*

True story.

The DAY :surprise: before the 2008 Bianchi Cup, full custom gun, one only like it in the world with new bushing system, gunsmith made new style bush early that year (original not working as well as it should) and said test it don't lose the old one as these are a cluster F%^$ to make. No problem. 4 months problem free. Decide to clean the gun before the big show, done it eleventy million times before. Bushing comes out with a piece missing! @#$#%$%$%$%$$%.

Have to rotate bushing 180 degrees, not perfect fit, fine, drive it in test fire and don't touch it, simple???

Won't fecking fit. Need collar to drive it in, collar on bench back home 8000Miles away, OK need tube, only tube is tube in wardrobe holding up cloths that is close enough, no problem, make short section and fit. Now have neccessary "tool", luckily the house I stay at is owned by a shooter and is very understanding, once he found out it was for a good cause. 24 bottles of Heineken helped.

Bushing remains in gun for another 5000 rounds until it coughed it all over the place back home. New bushing in range bag waiting for that. Plan J actually worked, plans A thru I were not so flash.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about a metal detector. UNTIL, I remembered the floor. Under the Lonoleum is a real wood floor. Nails every 24", on each plank, planks are 3" wide, in a 144 sq ft room that equals 240 pairs of nails. Mostly each nail 10 times the size of the piece of missing metal.

My favorite was launching a front pivot pin detent in the kitchen when putting together an AR lower. I heard it ricochet off the wall, hit the ceiling, but I never heard it hit the floor.... I looked around the room and the only soft landing spot was a basket of laundry... sure enough, it was on top of the laundry!

We used to refer to it as the Armorer's crawl. Down on hands and knees on the floor, flashlight flat on floor, looking for the lost part's shadow. Also, sometimes a mechanic's magnet (on a telescoping handle) can be a big help. I hated how parts could VANISH off of a solid concrete and tile floor :blink:

I really hated trigger group parts from H&K's and Benelli's. We kept PLENTY of small detent pins and springs for M-16's on hand. And back in the day, the rebound slide spring from a Smith & Wesson K-frame revolver could be counted on to escape your grasp.

• 3 weeks later...

Won't fecking fit. Need collar to drive it in, collar on bench back home 8000Miles away, OK need tube, only tube is tube in wardrobe holding up cloths that is close enough, no problem, make short section and fit. Now have neccessary "tool", luckily the house I stay at is owned by a shooter and is very understanding, once he found out it was for a good cause. 24 bottles of Heineken helped.