Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing tools

e-mishka

Trying to find out what tools/materials needed to do some minor polishing on the trigger bar and plunger in eaa wintess match.

Do i need dremmel tool or polishing stones, or something else?

Any good video links on how to do it are very welcome.

Trying to find out what tools/materials needed to do some minor polishing on the trigger bar and plunger in eaa wintess match.

Do i need dremmel tool or polishing stones, or something else?

Any good video links on how to do it are very welcome.

What you need is some MX wheeles that go in a air grinder or dremmel :cheers:

+1 on the fine sandpaper. I like to put a little light oil or WD 40 on the paper. I'm also a fan of Simicrome polish and a terry cloth rag after the sandpaper. Lay a strip of paper on something flat put a little oil on it and work the part over the paper. Simicrome can be purchased at motorcycle shops, MidwayUSA or Brownells.

Pull the terry cloth rag across something solid, put a little polish on the rag and work the part over it.

Polishing wheels, buffers with polishing compounds are quicker but you can get the finish you want without them with less chance of ruining a part. Works great on getting that sharp edge on your pocket knife also.

If You haven't used a dremel before, don't let this be your first time. When I say lightly, that's what I mean. Just do let the wheel touch the parts and then it should only take two or three seconds to achieve the desired results. Anything past that and your not polishing, your grinding.

• 2 weeks later...

Brownell's used to sell a tool to put in a dremel that would polish, I don't know if they still do or not.

as far as on a glock, take out the trigger assembly and look on the cruciform part and the connector. Any parts that are metal on metal is where you want nice smooth contact. You can also polish the striker foot that sticks down. DO NOT change the angle on the striker or you'll have a big problem. The class 3 ATF kind.

you can also polish the safety plunger. A trick to that is put the plunger in a power drill (just like a drill bit), and polish it while holding it against the sand paper.

look on online for the "25 cent trigger job" and you should have plenty of other tips!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what I did, take it for what it is worth.

Buy some 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sandpaper (Auto Parts store should have them)

Check the gun to make sure it is not loaded. Remove the slide from the gun. Place you thumb on the hammer and slowly drop the hammer so you do not break it.

Once that is done, look at the trigger bar when you pull the trigger to see where the trigger bar touches the frame.

Remove the trigger bar from the gun and remove the trigger from the bar. (optional)

Take 1000 grit sandpaper and place a 4 by 6 inch peice on your desk or flat surface.

Start with where the trigger bar touches the gun. Place the trigger bar on the sandpaper and move it in the directions the trigger bar moves (front to back).

This will remove all the high spots on the trigger bar. Keep working the trigger bar until you feel it become easier to move. At this time jump to the next grit and so on.

Now the plunger groove is a little more difficult. You need to use the same proccess I recommand above, but with one twist. To polish the where the plunger rides on the trigger bar, cut a small piece of sandpaper that fits the groove and by three or four inches in lenght. Then use the plunger as your surface to smooth the trigger bar plunger groove. Pull the sandpaper slowly at first until your get the hang of it.

When polishing with sand paper use a sheet of plate glass and glue the sand paper to it with rubber cement. You want to keep things flat and square. Go slow and don't let the metal get too hot. Don't think you have to remove every tiny machine mark. Using a dremel for anything other than the final polish will give you poor results.

Try reading this tutorial, it's a CZ, but it should have some good info that will carry over to the witness:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42644.0