Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open division comp?

35WLN

I am setting up an AR for my 14 year old son. He only shoots open and I am wondering what is the best choice for comps. Does anyone have experience with some that can chime in? Thanks

SJC Titan is the best out there and it's legal in tactical division too. I bought mine from www.cpwsa.com.

+1

I use the same rifle for open and Tactical and I use the SJC comp. I just remove the bipod and off set red dot when shooting tactical.

Pat

NoveskeRogueHunter.jpg

This pic is old I added an off set R1 in a Larue mount. I don't use it often but its nice on some stages where you have to transistion from long to short targets without much or no movement allowed.

Pat

While you might get some buildup around the face of the barrel crown. The high pressure gasses that push the bullet out of the barrel will keep the inside edges of the barrel crown clear of any residue. It may look ugly, but the gasses will blow any accumulation clear.

This will happen with any comp design, not just the Titan.

Erik

You really don't "need" to clean the prechamber, but the best way would probably be to take off the comp to ensure you don't damage the muzzle crown.

You could also try submerging the end of the barrel/comp in solvent overnight and blow it out with some compressed air.

The JP tank brake is the best for open. No high pressure chamber to mess with and so it is easy to keep the crown clean.

The high pressure chambers become less effective and can degrade accuracy in some cases if they are not kept clean and or carbon builds up on the crown. I've been using Gunslick foaming once every 500 or so rounds. 30 minutes in the bore followed by 2 dry patches. The stuff works great and keeps my crowns clean.

You really don't "need" to clean the prechamber, but the best way would probably be to take off the comp to ensure you don't damage the muzzle crown.

You could also try submerging the end of the barrel/comp in solvent overnight and blow it out with some compressed air.

I have used your comps now for a while and have shot thousands of rounds through them without cleaning the pre chamber. Your rights you don't need to clean it.

Pat