Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEAST Smoke with Moly Bullets?

JeffWard

I have about 4lbs of Solo left over from loading 9mm Minor. I'm having no issues with making Major, and decent accuracy, but they do smoke MORE at 40 Cal heat/pressure than they did shooting 147gr 9mm.

Who is shooting Moly coated (I have about 700 Precision Bullet 185Gn left) 40's and what powder produces the least smoke, but is still nice an SOFT like Solo???

Thanks!

Jeff

The most smoke I've ever seen at once (Including muzzle loading rifles) is Moly + Titegroup in a 9mm pistol. That didn't answer your question but that's one that you shouldn't consider for very long. :lol:

Edited by DyNo!

I've used Autcomp in major and minor PF. Was using 175SWC lead with 4.3gr for Minor and 5.4gr @ 1.180" for major. Smoke is comparable to WST, and having done back to back tests I can tell you N320 burns cleaner and smokes a bit less(maybe because it's a darker smoke it seems less) at major PF.

WST and WSF would be one's to try if you dont want to pay for N3##(20,30,40).

Anyone tried Autocomp in .40 ? Got a buddy that shoots it in 9 minor .45 major and its pretty decent.

Differences between WST and WSF?

Jeff

I've been trying to hunt down the same answer and the best I've found is the WST I watched a a single stack guy shoot 185's with it today and even though he thought they smoked watching it looked very minimal he recommended some other molly bullets out of Louisiana that he said didn't smoke at all but I didn't really catch the name

Edited by prodfastc

I use Solo with my 180s and 185s. Yes it smokes a little, but Im willing to take that because I like the way it feels. VV320 will probably smoke the least, but I could never get to like the way it felt in short 40 ammo. I wanted to use it but it just never felt right. If you are loading long, I like Clays.

he recommended some other molly bullets out of Louisiana that he said didn't smoke at all but I didn't really catch the name

Most likely bayou bullets.

If you don't like Smoke Bayou is your bullet. I shoot Bayou's most of the time but I still like the 185gr Precison over 4.7gr of WST set 1.185 @171pf. I've tried a few powders in 40 including N320, which I like in Jacketed 180gr but for the moly bullets I always go back to WST, then again I like my Heavy Edge.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting .40 minor through my Glock 22 with 180G Black Bullets and WST. Like everyone else is saying, its very clean shooting and extremely low on smoke.

I'm glad I'm not the only one shooting a glock 22. HOw many grains of WST do you use if you don;t mind.

I personally shoot BBI molly coated bullets with titegroup. There are many factors that contribute to the smoke problem. Weather is one of the most overlooked variable. When the weather is cool and there is hardly any humidity, there will be less smoke. The hotter and the more humidity, the more smoke. In Fact, I have had more smoke come off a FMJ than a molly coated bullet with the same tempatures.

i just ignore the smoke when I am shooting in hot/humid climates, I guess if I was looking at the smoke, i would be looking at the wrong things!

i shoot Bear creek 180's and 200's in both my 40's and 10mm with WST as my pet loadings for both, minimal smoke and 'soft' felt recoil, early on the boys from bear creek reccomended WST because it was one of the 'cooler' burning powders for their moly-fied bullets, here in northern Cali we have the heat, but not a lot of humidity, so its perfect for me