• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troy, two points:

1. The CROI is a great idea.

2. Lose the PeeWee Herman Avatar!

Huh? :wacko:

The bulldog? Pee Wee Herman? Am I missing something?

Another option would be distance education. Printed materials enhanced with Web based materials. A performance exam could be administered locally by a pool of test proctors, but once again, quality control could be compromised.

Thanks, Ron.

Troy

Man, I swear I've got some sort of polter-computer-avatar-geist at work. My avatar keeps changing, :o and I don't know what it is. It's on a site recommended by Kim Williams--hmmmm. :huh:

I'll have to look into that.

Thanks.

Troy

Um, I don't know what's going on but, for the record, you simply cannot use the words "Troy McManus".

And "Pee Wee Herman".

In the same sentence.

:D

And Troy, I've been to Minnesota a couple of times and, you betcha, I totally understand. In fact the last time I arrived at the airport, I had to drive straight to Mall of America to buy some industrial strength gonad warmers, because the clinking sound you could hear when I walked was bloody annoying.

And when my kids ask me "Daddy, where does Santa live", I tell them "He moved to the North Pole, 'coz he was tired of singing soprano when he lived in Minnesota".

Aw hell, Troy. You came to MN when the weather was almost balmy. It wasn't even 30 below Farenheit that weekend. Don't you remember seeing the girls in bikinis while they were ice fishing?

Arnie

Ron is right. If the Instructor doesn't have to travel as far then the costs for the course go down. This means the minimum number of attendees to keep the cost per person down can go down.

Actually, as I understand it there is no "minimum number". The club just has to guarantee $600. So, in theory, if two people wanted a course and were willing to pay $300 each plus housing and per diem for the instructor then they could get a course. The minimum really comes about because of the desire to drop the per person cost down to something a bit more reasonable.

The $600 thing is, I suspect, based on the law of averages. It will cost $1000 to put on some classes (mostly due to travel costs) but others won't cost $600. Eventually it all break out even. Charging actual costs would virtually guarantee that Ron never gets his class as I suspect he is like me...three airplane rides from everywhere.

I would suggest that the CROI thing be implemented thusly:

First: Training materials must be created for the CROI program.

A CRO with a minimum of 5 years of experience plus at least two big matches (Area or higher) of RO/CRO experience would qualify to become a CROI Trainee. They then go through a correspondence course covering instruction techniques and whatever. They then attend and help teach a minimum of 3 Level 1 seminars under the immediate supervision of the RMI. A fourth (or however many it takes for the RMI to say they are ready but maximum of say 10) Level 1 seminar is then done, ground up, by the CROIT. A RMI is present but only as an observer/grader. Student evaluations and the observations of the RMI form the final exam. Given a successful conclusion the CROI is added to the instructor pool. Where possible the CROIT should be assigned to as many of the RMIs as possible during the instruction period. The final examiner RMI should not be an RMI that has instructed the CROIT however.

To retain their CROI certification they must conduct at least 2 Level 1 seminars per year. Every other (every third?) year they must conduct a Level 1 seminar with a RMI present for recertification. The presence of the RMI examiner would not be known to the CROI until the day of the class. There would also be an annual recertification written exam. If the CROI fails the exam they revert to CROIT status and go back through training. This can only happen once. After that they are removed from the CROI pool.

To help avoid some of the other problems that have been mentioned the Level 1 final exam MUST change. It should become an exam divided into "Elements". Each element has a pool of questions associated with it. Each individual exam is composed of questions randomly drawn from these pools. In theory, at each Level 1 seminar no two students would have the same exam. The current exam has been around for too long and is static. Both of these facts make this a bad exam.

Students that take a CROI conducted seminar would be subject to random testing. This would be nothing more (or not much more) than the annual exam but it might be sent earlier than expected. Although given the manner in which USPSA administers these (based on annual membership renewal date) this might not matter much.

Yes, it will cost something to develop the CROI pool. But if we an get a minimum of one CROI in every state (some big states would need a several) the number of Level 1 seminars (and the "The Rule Book and You courses") could skyrocket.

Troy, I am but a relatively newly minted RO but if I can help let me know. I would be happy to serve on a committee or guinea pig the exam pool or whatever else I can do to further this along.

I really do hope that by the time I have my 5 years of CRO in that I can work to become a CROI. RMI someday? Maybe.

Kevin

I think Kevin has some great points. I have only been around USPSA a few years and been a certified RO for just over a year. It took forever before Troy could get to CO and give our Level I course. I understand NROI reluctance to do anything that might jepardize our excellant safety record, but I also believe that may be what also keeps the "pool of the willing" to go RO the major matches small. If the training could be spread more, while maintaining the same level of safety, it would only be good for our sport. There would be more people trained as ROs and the the NROI staff would be able to conduct more Level 2 courses.

Maybe Kevin's suggestions could be put in place in a location or two on a trial basis. If it works as well as it looks like it would, then spread it across all of USPSA. This would be a win, win, win. A win for USPSA, a win for the entire ranks of ROs, and a win for clubs and matches.

Just my 2 pennies.

Travis

Aw hell, Troy. You came to MN when the weather was almost balmy. It wasn't even 30 below Farenheit that weekend. Don't you remember seeing the girls in bikinis while they were ice fishing?

Arnie

You betcha! I forgot I was in Minnesota, eh! Although they were Eddie Bauer Goose Down Filled Bikinis. :D

Balmy, my frozen butt. :P

Kimel and TMan, those are excellent suggestions. I'm working nights all this weekend, (and last week, too), but as soon as I get a couple minutes, I'm going to compile all the suggestions and put them on the NROI forum for the rest of the instructors to take a look at, discuss, tear apart, whatever. ;)

Seriously, I like the idea. We might be able to expand the ranks a bit.

Regards,

Troy

• 1 month later...