Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal 180gr Berry bullets tumbling

imknadian

So I am loading 40 cal with 180gr Berry's plated bullets using 5.0gr of TightGroup. I am running them through a CZ TS and find they are going sideways around 5-10yds out. What causes this? And how do I correct it? I am using a crimping die and just wondering if my crimp is too much or not enough. Any ideas?

So I am loading 40 cal with 180gr Berry's plated bullets using 5.0gr of TightGroup. I am running them through a CZ TS and find they are going sideways around 5-10yds out. What causes this? And how do I correct it? I am using a crimping die and just wondering if my crimp is too much or not enough. Any ideas?

Seriously?? What OAL?

I think I would try to dial that back a bit. Try 4.2-4.3gr of TG. For me, 4.3-4.4gr makes major with a 180gr jacketed Zero if I remember correctly.

The loads are just a bit over making major power factor. We ran them through the chrony at the last IPSC match here. I think I will try to back the crimp off a bit and see if that makes a difference. I check all my loads with a case gauge before competitions and no issues there.

Break out the micrometer and check the bullet. There's at least one person here who bought a large quantity of berrys back when and they were all undersized. I haven't had that problem, but bad lots get out the door from most makers some times.

As for crimp, I put minimal crimp on plated, but I use a EGW-u die on the sizing station of my press which geves me good case tension on the bullet.

With 180gr berrys, 4.4-4.5 gr of titegroup gets me 169pf in my slower 5" AET barrel, and 172.5pf in my faster 5" sti barrel. That's at a nominal OAL of 1.130". 5.0 is a lot unless you are loading long.

If you are using a Lee Factory crimp die you are probably undersizing the bullet, use a good taper die, like the Dillon or Hornady. I don't shoot plated bullets, but have in the past and when you load them give it a little extra belling so you don't cut the plating and only crimp it enough to take the belling out and hold the bullet.

Have a peek a boo down the bore of your TS and see if it is leaded up? If it is choreboy time and that means either the plating was cut or it had too much crimp, or the bullet was undersized.

Get some Zero, MTG or better yet get some 180gr Bayou Bullets, and drop .3 to .4gr of powder off your load. I tried Precision Moly and BBI in my TS and gave it up when I ran out of Chore boys.

Edited by CocoBolo