Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on California Competition Works caddys

bkoenig

I have $50 to blow at Brownells and I need a new set of shotgun shell caddies to replace my homemade ones. All they have is the CCW ones, but I see they're set up for 3" and you have to add a spacer for 2 3/4". Does anyone know if that spacer causes any problems vs. something that was designed for 2 3/4" from the start?

The CCW arent bad for the $, i used double sided tape in securing the spacer and its lasted for 5 years now. its also thinner than the spongy stuff supplied with them therefore giving you a bit more slack for the odd long shell.

i recently retrofitted mine (they are back ups to my Otto caddies) with Mark Otto springs and they are much smoother now. if you do get them then i suggest getting in touch with supafly here on the forum and sweet talking him out of a few of his springs, they fit right in behind the belt attachment on the CCW, and the price is verrry nice too.

I have four of the ccw caddies and recently upgraded the springs. It's a world of difference.I had been admiring the otto caddies, but didn't want to spring for them (no pun intended). I didn't use the spacers in mine when I got them, they seemed to make the shells too tight. I used the soft side of some adhesive velcro strips. It's enough to keep the shells from moving around so much, but still lets them come out freely.

What type of attachment hardware do these normally come with?

Have seen what looks like a flat spring metal belt clip and what looks like the older Bianchi military metal wire springs. Not really sure how to describe those.

Have seen what looks like a flat spring metal belt clip and what looks like the older Bianchi military metal wire springs. Not really sure how to describe those.

There's a post somewhere around here where ccw is offering tek-lok type attachments and retro-fitted flat springs for his caddies.

I have both ccw and otto, both work fine, I will be adding flat springs and tek-loks to my older ccws for convenience.

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

Mine came with ELS 34 forks, but you can get the flat belt clip depending on where/how you order the caddies.

IMG_0660.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 6 round and a 4 round. The 6 round if belted up front make sit very hard to sit and bend over. The belt clips are very secure. So secure in fact I've never been able to use them as anything else but loops, having to thread and untread the belt from the clips.