Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in 627

rtr

I own one revolver, a jframe I never shoot. A buddy of mine has a really nice 627 that I covet. He's shooting 38 short colt on it. I don't want to have yet another caliber to load. So I'm thinking of getting a 627-8 and converting it to 9mm. So for those who have tried it, do the 9mm conversions run well in a 627? Main issues I have seen mentioned are accuracy and extraction. Are these really problems? Gun would be used for ICORE and steel.

I would recommend a 627 in 38 Super. I have a few.

Easy to reload and make either Minor or Major close to 357 Mag performance (with light bullets).

Moon clips make loading and unloading the gun a breeze.

Good resale value.

Unless you're willing to install a custom .355" barrel, I don't think you will be happy with accuracy with 9mm ammo from a .357" tube. Heavy bullets with a longer bearing surface will help some, but I'm still not really sure it's viable. ICORE (and sometimes steel) can be very accuracy-intensive.

Reaming a 627 for a 9mm, Hmm? The challenge is if your 357 has been cut for moonclips you may have a problem using the 9mm even if you get the cylinder reamed. Reason being the 9mm is a rimless case. Both the 357/38 specail (Rimmed Case) and the 38 super (Semi Rimmed) have the outer edge to rest on if the cylinder is cut deep. Which to accomedate of the different thickness of moonclips (albeit very minor a couple of thou.) Solution to that is to have the entire cylinder faced for the moonclip as the 625's are. The next challenge is the size of the bore to the size of the projectile. 355 bullets in a 357 bore. Solution reload your own with the larger bullet or as Carmoney suggests getting a 355 custom barrel. The extraction will have to be somthing you will have to work on. If the cylinder is the (melonite?) reaming is difficlut but not impossible. And as being able to reload one round for all....Well I tried it with the 38 special conversion to the 38 super, I could not use the same powder to get velocities. But I got em by working up the load for what I was willing to live with. Can it be done? Yes! Should it be done? Everybody is hollering for a 9mm eight shot. Probably. Can and should it be done on the cheap? NO!!! You get what you pay for. I am happy with my conversion to the 38 super. Hey it's your gun and you money and your decision. I'll kibitz from the side... :sight:

rtr,

I have a 627 in 38 super that I shoot 9mm out of, before I could get my 38 super reloading setup running. Accuracy was fine and as long as you don't use major power loads cases didn't stick. Yes the barrels are .357 and if you reload 38 super there is no issue. To throw another item for you to think about, Tom of TK Custom is rechambering a spare 627 cylinder, from my backup 627 in 38/357, to 9x23, which he says will shoot 9mm, .38 super and 9x23 with the same moonclips. I really only wanted the 38 super rechamber but hey, three for one works for me. Hopefully, I'll know in a week or two how it goes. Tom is a remarkable source of info and experience, give him a call for ideas.

Personally I would not rechamvber the cylidner for 9mm. I would opt for the 627 in 38 Super.

I tried using 9mm 124 gr. Montana Gold JHP and some older 147 gr. Star FMJ's in my 627. The problem was obtaining sufficent bullet tension to hold the bullet. I found that the miliotary 38 Special cases did the job. Both bullets provded ca 2 inch groups at 50 ft.

One other thing to remember about the multi-caliber conversion is that you will loose velocity with some cartridges when you do the conversion. This is not meant to talk you out of it, but just to give you some heads up in regards to the velocity of some ammo you might shoot in the multi caliber gun.

Spell out for me using small words. Is there a fundamental issue that makes the 9 x 19 cartridge a problem for revolvers?

9x19 cartridges = Tapered

Cylinder walls = Straight

Revolvers don't come chambered in 9x19 as a general rule.

.38 Short Colt works better and can be loaded using similar bullet/powder combinations (SIMILAR is the key word here).

Revolver barrels are usually sized for larger diameter bullets.

Yes you can get around most of those issues but why bother?

-ld

Spell out for me using small words. Is there a fundamental issue that makes the 9 x 19 cartridge a problem for revolvers?

9x19 cartridges = Tapered

Cylinder walls = Straight

The implication of a tapered case is that when the the round is fired, the brass is pushed back against the breech face and expands. Since it is in a tapered chamber, when pressure subsides, it might not move forward away from the breech face/blast shield.

So, each additional round that is fired may add more and more drag to the cylinder from case heads dragging on the blast shield, increasing the trigger pull with each shot.

That's the theory anyway, I don't know how it works out in real life.