Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP gun

1911vm

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATF classification is all I can guess.

The original documentation for the HS2000 (present day XD) stated it was a single action pistol. Thus it was placed in ESP well before SA acquired US distribution from HSA.

SA (Safe Action) mistook for single action-like? OK, but my is the M&P not the same classification? USPSA, IPSC, and NRA don't classify the XD single action, ONLY IDPA. Mechanically, they both pivot a sear that move the striker rearward a tiny bit, then release it, essential the same action. Hmmm, guess away.

Yes, but the question is why isn't the M&P classified ESP since it is mechanically similar to the XD in the way the sear releases the striker? IDPA can do what they want. It is a private venture.

My guess is they find the XD far superior to the M&P and Glock :devil:

I do find it interesting though.

I know that this would sound way to democratic and American like. but does anyone think if we start calling or emailing IDPA as XD owners to have XD-XDM re-classified as SSP. It would help?

I've had my best performances shooting a single stack .38 Super, since almost all of my shooting is either CDP or USPSA Single Stack. I also like loading 9+1, as most matches require two-each on paper targets, resulting in slidelock reloads between targets, rather than in the "middle" of a target. I've been shooting a Hi-Power this Summer, and find the double-stack mags, in that platform, are harder to reload than a single stack. Getting the mag even slightly "off", in terms of rotating it from perfectly aligned with the well, stops things before they've really gotten started.

The problem with speedloading the Hi-Power isn't that it has a double stack mag, it's that it's mag well opening is very tight (barely larger than the top of the mag, actually) and also very squared-off. Also the shape of the top of the Hi-Power mag is very square, for lack of a better term. Something like, say, a Glock is much easier to speedload because the mag well has a bevel from the factory, and the mag's external shape is much more taper topped.

My guess is they find the XD far superior to the M&P and Glock :devil:

I guess that's why we never see Glocks in ESP.

:rolleyes:

LOL, I was razzing IDPA for making an illogical classification by function. I only compare my "real" performance by adding SSP and ESP together.

In ESP I ran a Trojan 9mm for a while and it was nice, when it worked correctly, but I quickly got tired of the headaches 9mm 1911's cause and went to a CZ 75 Shadow, if there's a better "built-for-it" gun for ESP (other than the same 75 Shadow just in SAO) I've yet to see it, they've got the sweet trigger and accuracy that's every bit as good as the 9mm 1911's except they run like a watch...

That said, and as said, it's the Indian not the arrow, and I'm back to shooting a Glock 'cause it's the same as what I have to use for work and what I EDC, and while it's WAY less forgiving of any errors, it'll still get it done if the idiot pulling the trigger does his part.

P.S. Not to throw fuel on the fire or anything, but anyone who knows anything about how firearms work, after working on, or detail-stripping one who says an M&P isn't a single-action gun, or at the very least, just as or more single-action than an XD is delusional and lying to themselves. I have no idea how S&W got away with telling the ATF/BATF it was a DAO/safe-action and got them classified as such...

Rules are rules, but, and with all do respect, Robert Ray has got a pretty good list of "head-scratchers" going on with many of his decisions. IDPA moving to someone better informed or more technically-oriented, or better still, to some type of committee format as far as technical rules are concerned would only add legitimacy and help, not hurt (IMHO).

Edited by ck1

I use an STI 5" Eagle with bushing barrel in 9x19 for ESP, with a Krebs aluminum mag well.

The double stack mags and mag well are very forgiving of less than perfect reloads. The trigger is a crisp 2.5 pounds. Dawson Precision fiber optic sights front and rear. Comptac holster and homemade mag pouches. Ideal ESP set up, IMHO.