Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super to 9mm conversion - fit new barrel

BigDave

I know or have read that Bruce Piatt (for one, I'm sure there are others) have a 9mm barrel fit to match guns that normally shoot 38 Super. Does anyone have direct experience with this?

The first, "cheap" option I thought of was to order a Kart EZ Fit 9mm barrel and do it myself. But, looking at Brownells, it doesn't appear that Kart makes a 6" 9mm bushing barrel any longer. Does anyone know? Or, is it more like if you order it, Fred Kart will make it?

If it matters at all, I do have an SV slide with IBF if I wanted to do it right. But, if it is as simple as a barrel swap to keep the costs down, I'd like to know that.

TIA

If you have access to a Case Pro or similar with 38 super plates, You might try 9mm in your super. I have a Kimber SS target in 38 super that I do that with. I use 147 gr bullets seated out to super length. They feed no problem and the accuracy is great. You do need to roll size though, to bring the brass to Super dimensions at the web. I have only loaded minor pf loads doing this. I don't think I would do major pf after that much sizing. I use the same loads in my 627 38 super revo also with excellent results.

I've had 2 done and they both run 9 mm Major or 38 Supe Comp with no more than the comp and barrel change. I do have to re-zero the C-more when I swap calibers. The 9mm/38SC aftec runs 100% reliable with either caliber.

Apparently you have a cone comp since you are looking for a bushing barrel. I used Clark Barrels in my guns, they have a 6" threaded for $175 or so. If you ask them they will cut and crown it for you for a very nominal fee. They did mine and did a good job.

Here is a pic of my "test gun" the one I do wild crap to to see if it works better before I destroy my #1 gun. http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=779

A few comps and barrels as well as a top end.

I nearly asked you on sunday if you had thought about this....

Id either take it back to Neil and ask him to fit another barrel or ship it to Bar Sto and have them fit a new one. I inquired abt this on my stock gun also and was told a new barrel and link was all that was needed, and adding a new slide wasnt nessecary.

Apparently you have a cone comp since you are looking for a bushing barrel.

Nope, bushing gun. It's a 6" Metallic Sight gun I had built for Bianchi in 2006.

Clark Custom Guns also has unthreaded barrels as well. In my open guns they have been accurate and faster than the Schueman barrel that I used on my Bull Barrel gun. Trick is to get it fitted by a good smith, that is what makes an accurate gun.

i had a 38 super open gun converted to 9 major. my smith used kkm w/n ramp. i think in the question can you fit a new barrel, in a short answer, yes but. the breech face on your super will be good for 9mm. you may or may not have to tune the extractor. the ejector should not have too much of a problem since you are running irons but that is a maybe on the tuning also.