Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you reload for IDPA and USPSA .40?

gjeepguy

So I currently load 45 ACP for my 1911... but I just bought a 2011 in .40 for USPSA and IDPA.

Currently I am using Clays for .45ACP. 4.2 grains on a 200 lead SWC. at an OAL of 1.250

So here is my question. What powder do you use for USPSA and IDPA power factor. I am mainly interested in people using the same powder for both. If you give me your info i can put it into a spreadsheet for all to use.

Bullet Type and Weight

Powder Type and Weight

OAL

Gun Type Barrel length

Thanks in advance... I have used the search button for those who are interested. WST and Titegroup seems to be the favorites.

Edited by gjeepguy

4.0 gr N320 (minor) and 4.5 gr N320 (major) with either BBI or Bayou Bullet 180 gr loaded to 1.140 in my XDm40. Run the minor loads with a 16 lb recoil spring and the majors with an 18 lb spring. Works good for me but may or may not work for you. Good luck in finding those magic loads.

for me the main sport is USPSA major, but I occasionally shoot steel where major isnt allowed and I shot IDPA at one time. The same basic formula works pretty well;

Develop your 170pf load with a 180 to 185 gr bullet and a reasonably but not extreme fast powder, TG, WST, Solo 1000, I use 1.180 OAL as it works in my 40's but go with whatever works in your guns,

The make no other changes to your press settings and substitute with 155 bullets, you'll end up with a lighter bullet doing an almost identicle velocity, hitting in the same spot, running about 140pf that will work the guns without respringing.

for me the main sport is USPSA major, but I occasionally shoot steel where major isnt allowed and I shot IDPA at one time. The same basic formula works pretty well;

Develop your 170pf load with a 180 to 185 gr bullet and a reasonably but not extreme fast powder, TG, WST, Solo 1000, I use 1.180 OAL as it works in my 40's but go with whatever works in your guns,

The make no other changes to your press settings and substitute with 155 bullets, you'll end up with a lighter bullet doing an almost identicle velocity, hitting in the same spot, running about 140pf that will work the guns without respringing.

Here it is. Works well for me too.

• 3 months later...

reloadingdata.jpg

i have one for clays and bullseye but i have to locate it. saved them to my phone for fast look up and safe keeping and lost a lot of stuff during my last update.

there were 10 shots fired for each string. didnt display duplicate vel.

Edited by D roc

wait, I'm suppose to have different loads? :roflol:

I just use my major load for both. I'm used to it so why change it?

i take the loss and shoot minor for USPSA since i shoot more steel matches than USPSA. i just did load development for all of my powder and bullets. the Green in the table is where i like to be and Red is a no go either due to PF or trying to drop accurate gn charges with that specific powder.

I use the same powder for both just drop the charge

USPSA I shoot an STI 5" .40 and IDPA a Glock 35 I shoot the same OAL for both

Titegroup

180gr

4.6 for 169pf

3.5 for 140pf

any issues with that OAL with the G35

Edited by D roc

Minor: 3.8 of VV N320, 180 gr. Berrys, 1.18 OAL - 130 PF

Major: 3.8 of VV N320, 200 gr. Bayou Bullet, 1.18 OAL - 170 PF

KISS method, just change the bullet. If I ever mix up my loads, it's easy to identify major / minor...major is a green bullet, minor is plated

Edited by JeremyM