Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Handgunner

Ron Ankeny

A few us us guys have been kicking around the idea of running down to Montrose for the American Handgunner. There isn't much info on their Web site.

Is this match just a test of fast draw times or is there more to it. Have any of you guys been there? Any one planning on going?

Hi Ron,

The STI/American Handgunner World Shootoff is made up of two pistol matches with one day off in the middle. Both matchs are 15 stages of reactive steel plates, (different sizes and shapes on plate racks, and poppers in different patterns). Each stage has two shooting boxes to stand in and you will have to shoot 6 steel down and one stop plate per string, standing in one of the boxes. Each box has a mirror image of the target arrays.

You can choose to shoot the first match on one of three days, (Sunday, Monday or Tuesday). This match is called the Winchester Challenge. You squad with who ever you want, and shoot each stage for time only, one shooter at a time. You shoot four stings, alternating between each box and get to throw out the worst string. Add up the time for the other three strings and that is your score for that stage. Add up all your stages and that is your score for the match. There is money pay back for each class and division. Winchester donates cash to top winners in some of the divisions. This match is a great way to practice the stages, but it is an extra entry fee and you only get to stoot it one time befor the main event, (World Shootoff).

Wednesday is a day off, but there are side matches you can shoot with .22 rifles and pistols, pump and auto shotguns, and centerfire bolt and auto rifles. All with money pay back for top winners.

The World Shootoff starts on Thursday. You are squaded with everyone else in your class and division and will shoot 5 stages a day. You will be shooting man on man, alternating between the two boxes. The stop plates are overlaping, so the first shooter to knock down his or her six plates and hits their stop plate first is the winner of that string. The person that wins 2 out of 3 strings moves up the ladder and the loser is done for that stage. You receive one point for each winning string. A computer picks the first pairs of shooters for each stage to start the ladder. The person with the most points in all 15 stages then wins their class and division. There is a prize table for each class and division, and there is a prize for each person.

Sunday is the day for the main shootoff which is shot by the winners of each class and division and alot of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ect, place shooters also. Again it is man on man, with the winner receiving the big money and the championship title.

If you like shooting steel, this match is great. If you are shooting well in the match, you will shoot at least 1500 rounds in the World Shootoff match alone, not counting the Winchester Challenge or the side matches. I will be there again, 5th year in a row.

Ron..I have shot it once...

you do a lot of shooting...

It is a test of being smooth, consistentency and quickness..as well as the mental game..

Beven has a great description of the match..not sure on the WIN challenge..as it didn;t exist when I shot the match, but the world shootoff is pretty fun...the targets are all steel, varied in shape..mostly on plate racks. The prize table is pretty good, I think most people get back their entry fee..

If you go..it is ususally very hot and little shade...so bring a chair, an umbrella and lots of water..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

Does anyone know what kind of holsters you can use for American Handgunner in Sock Auto? I see there is an IDPA division also. Does this division apply to guns only or holsters too? I shoot Production and am wondering if I can use my rig.

Thanks Pete

Ron, I probably already mentioned sometime that I've shot this match twice. I promise you there is alot more to it than fast draw times. The match we shoot at Dubois is easy by comparison because we don't have an opponent blasting away right beside you on each and every run. (It can screw with your head.) Some stages like "pesky poppers" are down right pesky. There is one quick draw stage, Sudden Death" and a couple of hoser stages too. But overall, you have to be accurate. There are alot of US poppers at 12 to 16 yards. And plenty of easy stuff to miss. The reason this is such a great match in my opinion, is that you truly have to be fast and accurate. Any weakness in either area, somebody will surely sit you down. Everybody has good runs, everybody has bad runs. I think you finish well by simply having fewer bad runs. Oh yeah, and your good runs have to be fast! B)

• 5 months later...

bring lots of other ammo too..

22, shotgun, rifle as well as your primary pistol

good luck and have fun..

with the match a month earlier..weather should be great...

any be'ers going to the STI- handgunner match, look me up and say HI!. its always nice to meet new people, if you've got any questions about the match, i'd be happy to help any way i can.

i know SHRED is also supposed to be there, for any of you shooting open i'm sure he could answer you're questions as well, it'll be his second year, for the stock gunners its my 6th year, if you have questions and i can't make up an answer, i can probably find you someone who can.

i'll be easy tio spot, i'm normally attached to a big brown dog. trapr

Having spent 3 wonderful years in CO (exchange student), this is for sure a match on top of my wish list. But there is no money for it now... maybe in 2007 in combination with the 20th high school reunion...

• 3 weeks later...

Now how do I answer that question????

Well Robbie Won the Stock class in the main match

Chad Dietrich the Open Main Match.

Robbie Won the to 32 shoot off Sunday.

I won the Open top 32 shoot off and the overall.

I always look forward to this match it really is as much a test of aiming as speed.....

Maybe see some more of you there next year, Ps bring LOTS of ammo I ahot approx 5000 rounds this year not including the side event

Angus

Brian Thanks for the speedy delivery of the new comp you were correct it was very cool, contact me by email for the full story

PS Handgunner should have pictures of the new comp. Which I have to say is awesome.......

Anyone needing a comp should check brian at Experimental out. GREAT WORK.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dang...I was getting geared up to go this year, after not being able to shoot this match in awhile..That is a great range..hope someone has the finances to own this beauty...

POSTED ON THE SAN JUAN RANGE WEBSITE:

To: steve@americanhandgunner.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 1:50 PM

Subject: World Shootoff Championship

Dear Steve,

First of all, thanks for the many years (13) of sponsoring the World Shootoff!! All of you at American Handgunner have been wonderful to work with.

With Kerry Miller's passing on September 11, 2003 things are much more difficult to keep up with, as we each used to work 100 hours a week! Now that I will be eligible for Social Security in June, it is time to slow down a little.

SO....the 2005 STI / American Handgunner World Shootoff Championship will be put on hold until 2006. I hope by that time a Buyer will step forth and purchase the San Juan Shooting Range! At that time, if they wish, I will help get the match back on track.

A special thanks to all the GREAT sponsors and shooters who have helped make the match such a success!

Thank you again and God bless all of you!!