Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gun purchasing

gvpt

Yesterday i went to purchase a shotgun and after filling out the normal paper work and while they sent it through and waiting the 15 minutes i was told i was put on hold for 7 days.. so i could leave with my gun. it makes me kinda nervous, i bought 6 guns this year and no problems. My son seems to think because this time i decided not to put my SS# on the paper work. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening..thanks Greg

I get delayed if I dont use my social.. a few of the same name's out there for me. I've also seen a delay from a new person running the check. The shop called back 10mins later, got a different lady, and she passed me right away. I wouldnt worry about it.

I get delayed if I dont use my social.. a few of the same name's out there for me. I've also seen a delay from a new person running the check. The shop called back 10mins later, got a different lady, and she passed me right away. I wouldnt worry about it.

Spanky

I don't think its a common name..

My son has the same name and this happen to him about a yr ago. Thanks Greg

Sounds like that might be why. Same names sometimes require a bit more investigation, especially if he is using the same name but a different address.

Any reason as to why you chose to not give your SSN this time? I have an extremely uncommon last name and I still give mine just for simplicity.

Thank you, just a little nervous. It's just nothing like this has never happened to me..My son said the same thing you did. he believes the Government likes to inconvenience people for not using there SS# but that my son. He just don't trust uncle Sam.. thanks Greg

Spanky

I don't think its a common name..

My son has the same name and this happen to him about a yr ago. Thanks Greg

Sounds like that might be why. Same names sometimes require a bit more investigation, especially if he is using the same name but a different address.

Any reason as to why you chose to not give your SSN this time? I have an extremely uncommon last name and I still give mine just for simplicity.

i actually forgot about the SS# and i do have 2 address also, but they are both my houses. i didn't think this would cause a problem. Well i hope they call me and i can get my gun..thanks guys for your help. i guess i won't lose anymore sleep..Greg

If I'm putting these post in the wrong place please excuse me. I not very good on forum thing i just learning..Greg

i actually forgot about the SS# and i do have 2 address also, but they are both my houses. i didn't think this would cause a problem. Well i hope they call me and i can get my gun..thanks guys for your help. i guess i won't lose anymore sleep..Greg

You should probably avoid it whenever possible.. if they don't require it, don't give it. Many offices (like doctors, etc..) still ask foir it.. they don't need it either (in most cases)

Just a meaure to protect yourself

Most likely because you're not using your SSN which is the best single identifier for the background system. Even if your name is not all that common, there are still several people out there with the same name - and the computer will have a difficult time distinguishing between those names without the identifier listed - if everyone is clean, no problem, but if there are some with spotty records then additional searches have to be run, broken down, etc. I see this a lot on NCIC searches for people with common last names, the print-out will show several convictions, restraining orders, dispositions, but as you dig deeper it's referencing someone else. It can get really confusing sometimes.

Move to Idaho and get a concealed weapons license. Give the FFL your license an there's no phone call to make. Fill out the form, show the license, gun is yours.

Just a quick followup.. isn't this the same everywhere with a resident carry permit?

Move to Idaho and get a concealed weapons license. Give the FFL your license an there's no phone call to make. Fill out the form, show the license, gun is yours.

Just a quick followup.. isn't this the same everywhere with a resident carry permit?

It sure makes a lot of sense to me.

From living in both these states...

KY yes

OH no

unless changed recently...I haven't bought any for bit <_<

Unfortunately, no.

It sure makes a lot of sense to me.

From living in both these states...

KY yes

OH no

NC: Yes

Nope.

Not in Alabama, unfortunately.