Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel length

anachronism

This will probably sound strange, but here goes. I tend to favor shorter barrels for action shooting, and would only shoot 3-4 inch revolvers if I could get away with it. I do understand that different disciplines mandate certain barrel lengths, but if there no regulations on barrel length, what length barrel would you shoot? I just feel the shorter barrels are better balanced, and more responsive, but I see a lot of people who seem to live for the longer tubes. BTW, I usually beat them, at least the locals.

I personally use a revolver with a 2.5" barrel in USPSA and IDPA. It took me a while to get proficient with the sight radius, but I have done pretty well with it during the time that I have used it in the shooting sports. :)

With my aging eyes, I want the longest barrel allowed. I have a hard enough time focusing on the front sight as it is -- shorter barrels just make that harder for my eyes.

In IDPA SSR, I'm shooting a 4" Model 66. In CDP, I'm shooting a 5" 1911.

Edited by M1911

If I was shooting with iron sights I would need at least a 6 inch barrel for better sight picture.

I purchased a S&W 686 with a 4 inch barrel and mounted a UltraDot 1 inch tube sight on it. The new models come with the scope mount holes drilled and tapped. The revolver is very accurate to 50 yards and a lot of fun to shoot, I make my own loads so the bullet you shoot from HBWC to SWC and really hot Hornady XTP with H110 powder makes it a lot of fun and a very diverse revolver to shoot over other guns like a 1911 or Glock.

For SD I carry a J frame with a 1.5 inch barrel and a Laser. It is great for the summer and winter when it is not easy to get to or conceal with a good pocket holster. I think revolver barrel lengths are not a set thing and you need to get it to the size you need for the task at hand. SD, Hunting, Target shooting. If you want to shoot at longer ranges where I shoot you need to be able to reach 200 yards to the back berm. So I would want to have a 6 to 8 inch barrel so you can get the velocities to carry that range while shooting a 75 or even trying a 100 yard target. A shorter barrel would never give you the velocities to reach out that far. So I would suggest buying 2 or three different revolvers with different length barrels just to be safe. :cheers:

By the way, anachronism, are you signed up for Area 3 in Grand Island next month? If not, it's not too late. If nothing else, if you want to see some fast and fancy revolver shooting, come over and watch Ricardo Lopez--he's the reigning IPSC World Revolver champion!

I'd love to find a 4" 625 and use it.

Better yet a 4" M25! Just think a Blued Revolver looks best.

The heavier shroud on the 625 helps with weight and recoil.

I think it would matter on which one handled best for you.

I first used a 4" M29 and loved it, went to a 625 due to cheaper costs.

As with most shooting, except for ridiculous extremes, most advantages are in our minds.

Pick one, practice hard until you've convinced yourself it's the best for you, be humble and open minded and enjoy yourself.

I had a 6" revo before I decided to try SSR in IDPA. I had "objected" to anything less than 6" but I got a 4" gun for the game. I now think the 4" is much better balanced and a 6" gun feels awkward. A 5" gun might be ok but then you're limited to USPSA.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

By the way, anachronism, are you signed up for Area 3 in Grand Island next month? If not, it's not too late. If nothing else, if you want to see some fast and fancy revolver shooting, come over and watch Ricardo Lopez--he's the reigning IPSC World Revolver champion!

I used to shoot local club matches years back. Now I'm trying to balance out pin shooting & re-enter local IPSC, and add Steel Challenge matches. I'm having to move slowly however, all my old gear, especially my holsters are obsolete. I only have one holster that covers the trigger, and I can't shoot until I replace them. I think I'll just have to buy a few cheaper holsters to get me started. I wanted to shoot steel, but have you ever tried to find a left-hand Ruger MKIII holster? All my 1911 holsters are obsolete too.

I would go with 5 inch when possible. If the weigh is too much you could have the underlug milled off so you get the sight radius and without the heavy front end. Don't know if this would work or not but you might even be able to have a 1917 barrel fit so you could have the long sight radious with a tapered barrel, will defiantly not be front heavy.

I wanted to shoot steel, but have you ever tried to find a left-hand Ruger MKIII holster?

Have you check out Black Dog? I picked one up but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It is apparently reversible for lefty's.

I think the barrel length has to do with the rules of the game you are shooting. I've got a 4" 686SSR for IDPA. I shoot it in ICORE and Steel Challenge occasionally and would pick up a K or L-frame in 6" if I found one at the right price.

I wanted to shoot steel, but have you ever tried to find a left-hand Ruger MKIII holster? All my 1911 holsters are obsolete too.

If you're looking to shoot Steel Challenge there's no need for a holster for a 22. Start position is low ready. Bag it when you're not shooting.

I wanted to shoot steel, but have you ever tried to find a left-hand Ruger MKIII holster? All my 1911 holsters are obsolete too.

If you're looking to shoot Steel Challenge there's no need for a holster for a 22. Start position is low ready. Bag it when you're not shooting.

I've sent an e-mail to the match director requesting clarification. I should hear back soon.