Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to shoot first?

The chicken or the egg? Simular, yet different!? :P

My choice would be near to far. Reason. I will get the first shots off quicker on the close target. Then I would fall into the rythem of indexing the targets as I move out. I take my time getting off first shots when they are over 10 yds. If I can get started quickly on something close it helps me get going. Start far and I kinda hold that pace through the entire string. That is just my way. Anyone start in the middle? TXAG

I will get the first shots off quicker on the close target. Then I would fall into the rythem of indexing the targets as I move out. I take my time getting off first shots when they are over 10 yds. If I can get started quickly on something close it helps me get going. Start far and I kinda hold that pace through the entire string. That is just my way. Anyone start in the middle? TXAG

Interesting- at my level (C shooter) I have recently experienced that if I let rythm lead me I end up with poor hits. If I don't let myself get into rythm I have a better sight picture registration. I end up with a little longer time but a lot better hits and much better HF. At the last match I did not pay any attention to time or rythm, the only event sequence that there was - sights/trigger, sights/trigger, sights/trigger...

I also had a clearer perception of what was happenning, than a few weeks ago when I was trying to keep at a certain pace.

I don't know whether this is a better way or it's just a better way for me at this moment, any comments?

Hmmmm, I guess it is a bit of a topic drift, sorry :)

I'd say near to far .

But as David said, It would also depends on range .

If you shoot at the first target then a big cloud of dust is appearing :angry:

But the drawback is if you screw up your grip on the draw, you'll have no time to correct it while transitioning from target to target.

You'll have to adapt your shooting speed to that grip, and it could cost some time.

I'm more confident in shooting N to F and right to left because my dominant eye is the left and I'm RH, so It will help me acquire the targets easily.

Also, I'm not hiding the targets with the gun and discover them at the last time.

Two days ago we had trainingsession with a group of standard shooters,

well okay there was one wheelgunner (spook).

We had a similar set up but without the plate.

Targets at 5, 10, 17 and 22 meter.

Every shooter did it twice near to far, and twice far to near.

For what it's worth,

three shooters had a faster time with similar points near to far.

But three shooters had faster time with similar points fat to near.

For me near to far was the fast. (4.0) Far to near about 4.6

Greetings

Adrie

First take plate and the far target, I don't miss the plate (keep telling in your mind, becuause if your mind thinks it is a miss it will be a miss), but if I do I just switch back from the far target to the plate and then speed up and shoot the near target last.

I tried this today with a 7 yard paper, a 12 yard paper, and a 14 yard US Popper. I did several runs without the popper. Near to far was always faster. My draw was always significantly slower starting on a farther target.

I played with this last night but added a twist... I set up a second box about 5 yards away. If I stayed in the first box - N to F was faster. If I added moving to the second box F to N was faster because the time I made up with a more aggressive move out of the box to the second box more than made up for the slower draw on the 15 yard target.

FWIW-I was losing about .25 on the draw to the 15 yard target but saved over .5 by transitioning faster to the second box. I found could shot two alpha on the 5 yard while starting to run. Seemed more natural because I was "accelerating" as the targets became easier.

• 2 months later...

draw shoot the plate first...

whatever time you lost lining up on the plate is time well spent getting ready to shoot the paper..

shoot the hard shots first, and you will shoot the easy ones Faster than you would the other way around...

also once the hard shot is gone, its easy for the mind to focus on shooting fast, dont have nuthin to worry bout.

but then again, there is probably a GM shooter out there that can shoot it just as fast either way.

i have found in practice, im faster shooting hard shots first, then going to easy ones.

I shot a GSSF match once..on the five to glock stage, i started on the closest target, and by the time i was to the 25 yard target, i noticed i had to take extra time to settle down....i should have been shootin.... but what to do when there is a long shot in the middle of a bunch of intermediate distant targets???

i guess you just shoot the damned things fast as you can get your hits.