Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow Family Pic

justaute

Here is a picture of my CZ Shadows. Both are better shooters than I am. To date, the SP-01 Shadow Target has been my primary "sword" in USPSA competition, which is pretty much all I do these days -- started in January. Had the Tripp K-1 adjustable rear-sight installed on the 75 Shadow. Love the K-1 sight. btw... Matt Mink's trigger job on the 75 is so very sweet. :cheers:

FWIW -- the two shoot just "a tiny bit" differently enough that makes me think whether I want to trade the 75 Shadow for another SP-01 Shadow. I think I'm just used to that ~2.5 oz heavier muzzle on the SP-01. Who knows. I have yet to shoot the 75 Shadow in a match to know, but will do so shortly. Enjoy the pic.

IMG_1205.jpg

Edited by justaute

Not sure what a "normal" installation cost is. In my case, to install the Tripp K-1 sight, the slide needed to be milled. Thus, if you add the sight cost ($118) and the labor cost (over $100; don't remember at the moment), then the total cost is mid-$200.

how much does it normally cost for a adj rear sight installed?

Matt Cheely (Cheely Custom) did the install -- he did a great job. Regarding the grip tape, I cut it; the grips are the arched, long aluminum ones from cz custom. The panels have a radius surface, which fit my palms much better.

Very nice family. :)

Who did milled the slide for the Trip site? Did you cut the grip tape or did it come as part of a kit.

The 75 did have a fixed sight. It only needed milling, not welding, as the slide still has a small remnant of the CZ factory dovetail.

Was the 75 a fixed sight gun before ? Do you know if it required welding and then Milling, or if just milling was involved ?

Good looking pair you have.

Ken, nice guns, very nice!

I still like my 'old style' trigger on my '08 SP-01 Shadow better thou :D The gun also has rear sight with TWO set screws!!

Thou, I hear '11 Shadows are quite nice, compared to '09 and '10 ;) I'm talking 'factory stock' Shadows.

Edited by CeeZer

I have yet to do any formal, detailed accuray comparison. Thus far, I would say the accuracy level is comparable. The only meaningful difference I have noticed is just weight distribution.

Is one more accurate than the other?

Here is my .02:

I currently have a SP-01 Shadow and a 75SA; 75SA is actually more accurate when I do slow fire drills (better gun?), but Shadow beats it every time when I go fast... So, I take it that it's a combination of the gun and the shooter, essentially. Same ammo.

Here is my .02:

I currently have a SP-01 Shadow and a 75SA; 75SA is actually more accurate when I do slow fire drills (better gun?), but Shadow beats it every time when I go fast... So, I take it that it's a combination of the gun and the shooter, essentially. Same ammo.

Sounds like the extra weight out front is doing its job. I notice the same thing except both of mine are longslides. My 75 SA Longslide transitions so much quicker I am swinging past the target. It's new and I am still getting used to it(stole it from my wife). I am starting to develop a separate lighter load for my SA as the one I am using for my SP-01 Shadow Custom Longslide is too snappy for follow up shots as fast as with the Shadow. The extra weight out front makes a big difference for recoil absorption.

• 1 month later...

I have the SPO1 Shadow, bought it this year so i am assuming it is the 2011 model, I went with the 5 inch barrel had the trigger lightened and the competition hammer installed however I left the sights factory installed as I have no problem with the sights at all, it cost me a bit of money to have it like it is but when it comes to IPSC shooting I wouldn't want it any other way and its shooting nicely. :cheers:

nice pair,

noticed your two tone, any issues with the frame finish, just got my wife a 75 shadow T tow tone, noticed some of the finish is chipped inside the trigger guard, and inside the grip from mags rubbing, her gun has not been used yet.

yeah...the two-tone finish does not hold up at all. It easily chips. I sold it and am replacing it with another SP-01 Shadow.

nice pair,

noticed your two tone, any issues with the frame finish, just got my wife a 75 shadow T tow tone, noticed some of the finish is chipped inside the trigger guard, and inside the grip from mags rubbing, her gun has not been used yet.