Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nighthawk Custom Dominator

• 4 months later...

I've had my Dominator for 3+ years and love it. I've attended Gunsite for 2 pistol training classes with the Dominator, put 2,200 rounds through it in class and NEVER had a misfeed or any other problem. I'm not a gun expert but I m totally satisfied with the quality, performance and look of my Dominator.

Good luck with yours.

• 4 years later...

I searched for this topic and was hoping for a little more input as I just ordered a Dominator it will take about 2 months as it is a custom build. Does anybody have anything additional info on this gun as a competition shooter or general quality?

• 2 months later...

It's been over three and half months and my gun finally came in, unfortunately I ordered a 9mm and they shipped a 45 I canceled my order but I got a call today they can have my 9mm within a week this said I ordered it without a rail and they made it with a rail. I have mixed feeling about this anybody have any thoughts? pros or cons it could help me decide whether to take it or not.

Thanks in advance!

That is how I feel but then what is the downside of the rail?

I like the look of it without it but would the rail help or hurt the value any?

Is there a better gun in this price range?

The mistake has me rethinking a lot!

Very hard questions to answer! Do you plan to use (or think you may use) the rail? If you prefer the aesthetics of the pistol without the rail and don't see yourself using it, then I would not purchase the pistol.

Would the rail add value to the pistol? For some (those who need or plan to use a rail) . . . . yes. For others . . . . . not so much. So it is likely a personal thing for most potential buyers.

Is there a better gun in this price range? I predict you will get variable answers. There are certainly other pistols on equal footing in this price range, with Wilson Combat and Ed Brown being the top two I can think of, but there are more, I'm sure. And while others will likely disagree, I think the Dan Wesson Valor is in the neighborhood, for LESS money.

Now, if I were answering just for myself: I don't care for a rail on a 1911, I own a Wilson Combat, an Ed Brown, two Colts, a Dan Wesson, an STI, and a Springfield, and none of them have rails. And if I ever get in the mood for yet another 1911, it will likely be a Nighthawk . . . . without a rail. ( I like the Falcon model). And if I ordered a Nighthawk Falcon and they screwed my order up, I would hold out for what I wanted to begin with.

But differences of opinion and in taste is what makes life interesting!

Whatever you decide, hope you are happy with your decision!

I thought as long as the rail was not over a certain length and the pistol makes the weight requirement that a rail was legal. I think Dave Sevigny won the SS nationals with a railed Springfield Pro

If having a rail is going to put me in a different class then that is a deal breaker!

I had the gun custom made it is a combination of two models neither come with a rail as a standard feature so I'm not sure what they were thinking adding it to my order?

At the price I'm paying I thinking I might just cancel the order and use the money towards a new car.

I not a happy camper!!

I just checked the rules and I don't see and issue with the rail. Can someone confirm that the rail would be a factor in what class I would shoot. Although I didn't see it in the rules I thought a mag well would put me in Limited 10 anyway but I would love conformation because I want to know what I would be getting into.

23 Permitted features •External extractors, firing pin blocks, and other factory safety features. •Duplicating features that are on a factory, massed produced slide available to the general public. •Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

The issue you may have is weight, SS does have weight restrictions imposed (43 oz with empty mag) , mag wells are also allowed but again the weight issue is there. I'm sure you will find more advice here I'm not a huge help as I shoot IPSC and the rules are a little different to USPSA.

Edited by terrydoc

The rail is permitted in single stack with the length restriction and most everybody runs a magwell. Dave won SSTK national with a Springfield pro it has a 3/4 length rail on it. I'm sure he had a magwell on it too. The guns are inspected pretty thoroughly at a national event, weighed, safety checks and loads chrono'd.