Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm mag for a P1640

Iggy42

Thinking about selling my EAA Limited for a P1640 (need something less picky about ammo since I don't always have the luxury of ordering custom ammo from DC or Atlanta, much to my dismay) but I am having trouble locating the parts I would need for 140mm mags. I have found the tubes from Para, but I cannot find were the DP basepads are for a .40S&W gun. Even better is if someone is selling mags already built to 140mm, not a must if I can locate the parts.

Not to mention on the surface it appears that I can shoot USPSA Limited for a lot cheaper with a P1640 than my EAA, by about 100 to 200 bucks to get mags and a holster since I lack them for my EAA due to cost.

Any help here would be great, including if I am right in thinking that a P16-40 can handle WWB when I have no other choice.

I have more questions, but I will start here, course if someone in NOVA/Eastern Panhandle of WV has a P16-40 I can check out it would help a lot.

I had trouble using factory ammo (WWB) in my P16. Mine liked loads at 1.2 OAL. Dawson should have the rest of the stuff you need to build your mags unless they are BO.

FWIW

Richard

the arredondo pads ,available from several forum vendors, arnt as durable as Dawsons, but they work ok and hold up fine, unless you are really brutal with them, Para also makes a factory 4mm pad if you can find em, I would still stick with factory followers and springs, Paras are really good guns, I think alot of people have problems in non 45 para's with the new extractors, I would look for an older model with the normal extractor

I am currently turning my 14-45 into a 6" .40. Its coming along slow since this isnt a big project for me so funds are slow to get to it. but i did order the mag catch from canyon creek so the para will accept STI mags. since i already have an STI and no reason to now have to buy para .40 mags. i load all my ammo to 1.125 using berrys FP bullets and they feed reliably in my XD, Glock, and Edge.

I will say though para is not cheap buy any means in my experience. I spent a lot of time on all 3 of my paras getting them to work reliable. now they all have pretty much all new internals and refitting. then there was the trouble of changing their LPA sight cut to BoMars, and parts are available just take some searching for but if brownells doesnt have them I have had luck with speedshootersinternational.com or rushusa.com

I bought a used STI and the only things I have changed were the recoil/mainsprings and the green FO to a red one. I am into my paras for about the same cost as I am the STI since of all the money I spent on each one.

However I like the feel of the grip frame on my paras more than an STI. para's index and balance so well.

I had trouble using factory ammo (WWB) in my P16. Mine liked loads at 1.2 OAL. Dawson should have the rest of the stuff you need to build your mags unless they are BO.

FWIW

Richard

Anyone else having this issue? That is part of the reason I am thinking of selling my EAA since custom loaded ammo isn't always available to me due to time constraints. Many times I am not sure if I will be attending an event until the day of registration, basically the Monday before a weekend shoot. Might be enough time for an order to reach me, but I would like the option of being able to run normal factory ammo just in case. Plus the range I shoot in the winter I have to use range ammo which is standard length.

I am currently turning my 14-45 into a 6" .40. Its coming along slow since this isnt a big project for me so funds are slow to get to it. but i did order the mag catch from canyon creek so the para will accept STI mags. since i already have an STI and no reason to now have to buy para .40 mags. i load all my ammo to 1.125 using berrys FP bullets and they feed reliably in my XD, Glock, and Edge.

I will say though para is not cheap buy any means in my experience. I spent a lot of time on all 3 of my paras getting them to work reliable. now they all have pretty much all new internals and refitting. then there was the trouble of changing their LPA sight cut to BoMars, and parts are available just take some searching for but if brownells doesnt have them I have had luck with speedshootersinternational.com or rushusa.com

I bought a used STI and the only things I have changed were the recoil/mainsprings and the green FO to a red one. I am into my paras for about the same cost as I am the STI since of all the money I spent on each one.

However I like the feel of the grip frame on my paras more than an STI. para's index and balance so well.

Well looking at the prices of things it looks like I can get a new P16-40 for about 1k, where an STI new start at 1500. That 500 bucks is money I can spend to get mags, holster, mag pouches. Plus I am not a fan of the polymer grips for STI's. Yes I know there are metal options, but they are another couple hundred bucks that I don't have.

One thing that I think I may have asked before a few months ago (if I did I can't find it) but aren't Para's made in the USA now down in NC? I know I have heard that since Para moved out of Canada to the States their QC has been lacking a bit, but I don't know if I heard if they are actually being made here as well.

Yes ,Para is located in North Carolina now. You should not have any issues with factory ammo,especially WWB. Paras are great guns, I've shot my P-16 in USPSA for years now , I prefer Para over STI. Another good thing about para is the mags don't need tuned to hold 21 rounds of 40s&w. I would also use ISMI mag springs with the DP extentions, I have killed factory para mag springs by loading 21rounds a few times in them.

I shot a 1640 for three years on a steady diet of factory American Eagle 165 gr bullets. they came in at 1050 fps from my stock barrel. Lot softer than the 180's and other brands 155's. I have heard the WWB 165's are loaded similar.

Yes ,Para is located in North Carolina now. You should not have any issues with factory ammo,especially WWB. Paras are great guns, I've shot my P-16 in USPSA for years now , I prefer Para over STI. Another good thing about para is the mags don't need tuned to hold 21 rounds of 40s&w. I would also use ISMI mag springs with the DP extentions, I have killed factory para mag springs by loading 21rounds a few times in them.

Since you didn't mention it I assume you use factory followers or DP?

I have to admit the more I think about it the more I wish I would have gone with a P-16 over my EAA Limited, but it was hard for me to pass some of the bells and whistles on the EAA. Stuff like the magwell, extended mag release, extended ambi safety, etc etc etc. All things that can be added to a Para, but I would have had to send it off to a smith to have those things installed. I am sure there is a a local person that could do it all, I just have not located them yet.

I have to admit the more I think about it the more I wish I would have gone with a P-16 over my EAA Limited, but it was hard for me to pass some of the bells and whistles on the EAA. Stuff like the magwell, extended mag release, extended ambi safety, etc etc etc. All things that can be added to a Para, but I would have had to send it off to a smith to have those things installed. I am sure there is a a local person that could do it all, I just have not located them yet.

Yes, I use factory Para mag followers. Some Para pistols come with most of the items you mentioned, look at the P-16 limited model. I modified mine,here is a pic..

IMG_20110331_160938.jpg

Yes, I use factory Para mag followers. Some Para pistols come with most of the items you mentioned, look at the P-16 limited model. I modified mine,here is a pic..

IMG_20110331_160938.jpg

My plan was for a P16-40 Limited if in the end I go this route which I am strongly leaning toward. Big thing is I want to find one locally to see how it feels in hand, even better if I could send some rounds down range. I have found a local Para dealer, but they have not responded to my email as of yet to see if they have a P16-40 in stock. I really hope they do since I have a $50 off coupon for them and while 50 bucks isn't much in the grand scheme of things. 50 bucks is 50 bucks, and hey that's another mag.

One thing I was wondering about, is the trigger/mag release plastic or metal? Looking are photos (yet to find one to look at with my own eyes) they look plastic, but it could just be bad photography.

Also are there any "drop-in" magwells, or in the very least one that would not be a big problem for a guy like me with limited tools/gunsmithing experiance.

One thing I was wondering about, is the trigger/mag release plastic or metal? Looking are photos (yet to find one to look at with my own eyes) they look plastic, but it could just be bad photography.

Also are there any "drop-in" magwells, or in the very least one that would not be a big problem for a guy like me with limited tools/gunsmithing experiance.

The trigger is plastic, and I believe the 16.40 LIMITED has a metal mag button, whereas the regular 16.40 has a plastic one but I may be incorrect on that. I had a guncraft long/flat trigger installed and a guncraft extended mag release installed.

Both of the Dawson Precision magwells are drop in, and the Ice comes with a new MSH which is an improvement over the factory plastic one. I don't use the Ice magwell because I've got an S&A stainless steel MSH and the Ice magwell wasn't out when I was building my Para.

IMG_20110331_160938.jpg

What finish do you have on your gun? Looks tough!

It's got a Atranite finish from Freedom Gunworks. They did the slide lightning and finish for me and I did the rest of the mods. There is more pics of my gun in the FGW dealer forum here on the Enos boards under the title custom P-16.

As for the mag release and trigger, I use Gun craft parts for both. The newer Para pistols have steel mag releases and a plastic trigger.

It's got a Atranite finish from Freedom Gunworks. They did the slide lightning and finish for me and I did the rest of the mods. There is more pics of my gun in the FGW dealer forum here on the Enos boards under the title custom P-16.

As for the mag release and trigger, I use Gun craft parts for both. The newer Para pistols have steel mag releases and a plastic trigger.

Very nice, I'll check that out.

Put me down as another happy WWB shooter. My P1640 is as reliable as you could ask for with WWB, Para mag bodies with factory springs and followers on top of DP mag extensions.

215778_10150145131152447_229698387446_7034485_2615528_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a SV 40 gun and a Para 40, that came with two mags. I didnt want to get extra mags for the Para, so looked at the mag catch and the slots for the SV mags, to understand the difference, went to a local muffel shop by the range and ask them to just add a spot weld to the ledge of the Para mag catch, came home and worked with the file, for about 15 mins. and presto! Para works with all the SV mags.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the new Dawson base pads. They work great, im only getting 19, but that is with the Para spring and follower.

I know Dawson did a redesign on the pads, but I thought you where still supposed to get 21

II get 21 in my mags with the Dawson pads, all other parts are Para factory. 21 is tight, but they fit and feed.

Did you get the longer mag spring from Dawson as well. Maybe mine just need to be broken in a little. And is that 21 reloadable?

II get 21 in my mags with the Dawson pads, all other parts are Para factory. 21 is tight, but they fit and feed.

Did you get the longer mag spring from Dawson as well. Maybe mine just need to be broken in a little. And is that 21 reloadable?

Not reloadable with 21 on my mags. It takes some doing to get it seated.

21+1 startable on 2 mags and 20 reloadable on both. 20+1 startable and 19 reloadable on 2 more mags. Same parts on both sets.