Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Hornady Match 75gr HPBT

HuntingPaper

Hello,

I just got a box of 223 Hornady Match 75gr HPBT bullets to try. I would like to learn from people using this, I haven't got any specific powder other than the W748 that I use for my 55gr but seems like this is not a good option for a heavy bullet. A friend of mine was having case capacity problems with Varget so I'm a bit lost on what to use...

Quite a few years ago I used that bullet for a long range load. I believe it was 24 grains of varget and the bullet seated out past mag length. You would have to load it single shot. I was sucessful with that load out to 1000 yards. A few years later I received the new Hornady manual which revised the max load down to 23.5 grs of varget. I tried that load @ 1000 yards with out sucess because the bullet did not remain supersonic. I've got some loaded up with 4895 but haven't tried them yet. You have to be careful with varget because it has been known to have variations from lot to lot. That's why I switched to 4895. With the correct powder you could load the 75gr bullets to mag length and shoot across the course. My rifle is a Bushmaster with a 1-9 20" barrel that was set up for service rifle. I've switched over to a flat top for 3-gun. I use 55gr bullets for close in shooting and 69gr for medium ranges. I use mostly WW748 because Ilove the way it pours and it shoots consistently.

I've got a load for TAC around here somewhere...

Found it. Hornady 75gr HPBT with 23.5gr TAC loaded to 2.260 OAL and Wolf Primers.

Cant find my velocities, but it groups really well out of my 18in 1 in 8 twist barrel.

Edited by prreed10

I shoot the 75gr for long range. They hold up in the wind a lot better than the 55gr. I'm shooting from a 20" 1:7.7 twist Krieger barrel. I use a load given to me by a Marine gunny Sargent, this is what they used for 1000 yd open sight matches. 24 Gr of Reloader 15, either the Sierra 77gr or Hornady 75 gr. This load is also listed in the Hornady manual. With the 75 gr and a 24gr RL-15 load, velocity is right at 2700.

The Hornaday manual gives these other options (manual offers various load, below are MAX loads):

IMR 3031 21.2GR MAX

AA 2495 21.8 GR MAX

VIHT N-135 21.8 MAX

AA 2520 22.5 MAX

H 4895 23.3 MAX

RL-15 24.1 MAX

WIN 748 24.0 MAX

VARGET 23.5 MAX

VIHT N-140 23.6 MAX

VIHT N-540 23.6 MAX

BL-C2 25.2 MAX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been using 23.5gr of Varget with the 75gr and getting 2612fps out of a 18in barrel.

I've switched to 25.0gr of TAC now i am getting 2828fps out of the 18in barrel. That load is for NATO/5.56 chambers only!

I am using LC brass, CCI smr primers, and 2.260 oal.

Both loads are more accurate than me!