Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have a 180gr / 200gr load in 40 major using clays

ohrich

Hi Guys,

Gonna try Clays with both 180gr and 200gr bullet.

OAL is 1.185

I've been using titegroup til now. I was told clays will feel softer and still make major so I thought I'd give it a try.

I was gonna try 4.7gr for 180's and 4.2gr for 200's

Anyone here currently using Clays?

Just in case no-one told you...lengths shorter than 1.2" with Clays and heavy bullets in .40 can result in high pressure spikes and there is not a lot of room for error. I've tried Clays with 180s and 200s for major, but I won't use it anymore. There are plenty of better options with a lot less risk. 180s at 1.2" with Clays are soft.

Not saying don't, just making sure you are aware of some potential dangers with Clays and heavies in .40 S&W.

I shoot a 185 grain Precision Moly with 4.0 gr Clay at 1.180" OAL for 169-170 PF. This was out of a Para P-16 5 inch stock barrel with a 12 lb Wolff recoil spring.

Like MarkCO said...Clays and short OAL don't mix...you'll blow case heads off. Believe me...I have been there, done that.

4.7 gr sounds a little hot...I'd tone it down and go up Sllloooowwwwllllyyyy.

Hi Guys,

Gonna try Clays with both 180gr and 200gr bullet.

OAL is 1.185

I've been using titegroup til now. I was told clays will feel softer and still make major so I thought I'd give it a try.

I was gonna try 4.7gr for 180's and 4.2gr for 200's

Anyone here currently using Clays?

Clays in 40S&W with 180 and 200 bullets is just too close to the edge. Do what you want but life is too short to tempt calamity without potential of gain.

Orich;

Why don't you try WST or n320 something in that burn rate area, would be a lot safer.

Be sure you have all the right equipment and a good Chrono. Start Low - Medium and work up to desired loads.

Hillbilly saying, "Don't Do Dumb Sheit"

Perry

Hey everyone,

Just got back.

I loaded 4.5gr of clays with 180gr Zero JHP

OAL 1.205

Not sure what Power Factor they would make at the chrono but they felt good, and were very accurate.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I was asked about a 200gr load with titegroup, I warned the individual about the danger, but he proceeded anyway. At the very next match about 3 stages in his Beretta blew, the trigger assembly, it is gone, he wasn't hurt, he did learn a lesson.

Just about any fast powder with 200gr bullets loaded short in a 40 is just plain not worth the risk. I ran 200gr for about a year with titegroup, with no issues but at 1.200. I decided to shoot my CZ and squashed them down to 1.140, second shot on first stage I had a head seperation, so cleared that, on second stage I split a case. Third stage I was shooting my carry gun.

So at least stay at 180/185 gr and load them as long as possible.

Here is a safe load using cheap powder and cheap bullets, pay attention to the OAL. Precision Moly 185gr, 4.7gr of WST, or 4.5gr of N320 (not cheap but safe) loaded 1.180 or longer. Gives about 170pf out of a 5" STI.

These loads are nice and soft accurate and you can finsh a match with them.

Like the guy said don't do dumb Sheit.

I shoot 9 major I'm no stranger to danger, a tiny mistake and well Kaboom.