Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal hollowpoint - 38 Super changes?

D__

Ran out of jacketed fmj bullets. Picked up some hollowpoint bullets from Nosler. Can I run same oal? Or will the cartridge be to long?

General re of thumb for this? I will try it before this weekend matchbut am looking for input. Thanks

measure the fmj's measure the hollowpoints, load the hollowpoints shorter by the same amount that the hollow point bullets are shorter than the FMJ's you may be able to do this by just changing bullets and not adjusting your dies, as some dies will seat on the bullet ogive as opposed to the end, Getting the same internal capacity should give you similar results, I would still reduce charge by a couple of tenths and re chrono though.

Id pick an OAL that pretty much everyone else is using with that bullet in your platform and adjust the powder accordingly,

hollowpoints are shorter than the fmj i was using. load come out to 1.22 with hollowpoint instead of the 1.245 for fmj. dropped the load a little as 4756 is temp sensative and shooting international. lengthened load to 1.25 with hollowpoint and seemed to run. the nosler rounds seem to like my pistol.

A hollow point of a given weight can not be shorter by much over a FMJ of the same weight. The lead removed from the HP has to go somewhere.

Work up the COL that is optimum for your gun and a specific bullet. Don't just assume.

make sure they fit in the mag , is one reason to keep an eye on oal. and the Ogev of the bullet can hit the slide lock some times and cause it to lock the slide as the last few rounds come up.

load some in a mag and with the slide off the gun put the slide lock in the frame and insert the mag = look to see if it clears the rounds.

many of us get our best groups with HP bullets