Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para LDA in production??

pangris

I'm new to the sport, shooting a G17, but prefer the 1911 platform. I'm wondering how many people shoot Para LDAs in Production, and are happy about it...?

If I go this route, I'm also torn as to which direction to go - 9mm since it will be scored like that anyway, or .45 so that I know the steel will fall when it is supposed to fall :P

I don't "do" .40 S&W :o

Thoughts, experiences, opinions?

Thanks much!

I have the LDA in .40. I used it when I was bored and screwed around with production. If you get the trigger reworked it is as close to a 1911 as you'll ever get in a DA gun. The full steel frame kills recoil. I would go 9 over .45. The steel will go down.

If your trigger sucks, you need to contact Jim Anglin at jjanglin@msn.com who will make that trigger "sweet".  I have one and love it.

Which would make the gun illegal for use in IPSC PD, but still legal in USPSA PD.

I shot IPSC last year with an LDA, this year I switched to a CZ85. Two reasons for that, I'm in Canada and have to deal with 10 round mags and under IPSC rules that was always a hassle, secondly the long trigger pull. Its a sweet trigger but long, at least the CZ gives a short SA trigger after the first shot. Someday I'd love to try an USPSA LDA production gun just to see and feel the difference.

ipsc1

QUOTE (Gary Stevens @ Apr 23 2004, 02:11 PM)

If your trigger sucks, you need to contact Jim Anglin at jjanglin@msn.com who will make that trigger "sweet".  I have one and love it.

Which would make the gun illegal for use in IPSC PD, but still legal in USPSA PD.

Garfield, that is not necissarily true. If Jim would get you a sweet trigger by polishing and detailing the internal parts, it would still be OK for IPSC PD.

Pangris, I know two guys that shoot one. One of them is a really good shooter and he is very happy with it.

2nd spook here: Tuning the LDA trigger to 5 lb involves no non-factory parts, just polishing surfaces. When you aim much below that (Jarret says his LDA trigger is 1.5 lb...), you need to replace main spring and add a long firing pin, that would make it IPSC and USPSA Prod Div. illegal.

Yes, the long reset is probably the most serious impediment.

Use the search function to look for Para LDA and production. Tons of info here...

Thanks for the responses. I've used Teddy Jacobson in the past with great success and I know he works on the LDAs, so that is probably where it would go for the 5.1 lb job :)

So a P18.9 with a 5.1lb trigger job (polishing only) and a fiber optic front sight (maybe a barrel recrown? It did wonders for my P14.45) gets the job done?

Do you have to use factory extractors, thumb safety, etc?

Pangris, seeing you would go for 5.1 lbs. means you shoot IPSC? If so, recrowning will make the LDA IPSC PD illegal :(

IPSC PD (not USPSA) means:

-Factory gun from the approved list

-Can only change sights a little (which you will probably not do with he LDA's great sights, so I will not elaborate)

-Minor polishing and detailing of the internals (for that 5.1 lbs. trigger)

-The rest is prohibited

Garfield, that is not necessarily true. If Jim would get you a sweet trigger by polishing and detailing the internal parts, it would still be OK for IPSC PD.

Guys, you are right, I was too hasty with my comments :unsure: .

"barrel recrown"? What's that good for? I have 2 9 mm LDAs (not the Limited ed.), and they shoot something like 6" groups at 50 y with decent factory ammo, not great but not too shabby for a Production gun. Hold your money for ammo and matches... If you just shoot USPSA, you can get the trigger down to about 2.5 lb w/o adding non-factory and/or non-model parts. Then it would be IPSC-illegal but USPSA legal. The thing needs a trigger job, good sights, and working magazines, that's pretty much all... Budget about 1h/day for practicing reloads and getting used to the long trigger reset, the 2 most serious "flaws" in the gun...

--Detlef

In regards to the Para LDA, great gun BUT.......... due to the very long travel reset, it has not taken off very well in competition. Over in IDPA, hardly anyone uses them for that reason. Yes, the triggers can be made "smoother", but it still has to be let out almost completely for it to reset.

Beretta's, Glocks, CZ's, etc., rule in SSP division in IDPA and Production division in USPSA, due to their short trigger reset.

I personally think that, for IPSC Production or IDPA SSP, it is also too expensive to really take off. When you're all done, you spent $ 800 on it, and you can get a Glock for less. I really don't believe in the trigger reset theory because, with a bit of practice, you can comfortably shoot .20 splits and that's probably all you can afford in IPSC Production or IDPA SSP anyway because of the need to hit the center zone. For IPSC, the missing factory mag well bites you more.

--Detlef

What bothers me about the LDA reset is the "double click". You let it out so far and it clicks, but that isn't enough. You have to let it out farther for a second click and then it's ready to go for another round.

I'd rather have a Glock trigger than an LDA trigger if I had to stick with all stock parts. I've heard stories about tricked out LDA triggers, but I've never felt one. I've felt plenty of good Glock triggers built from stock parts.

• 1 month later...

Just got my LDA 9mm back from Jim Anglin at Sailor's Custom Pistols. Trigger pull is indeed sweeeet with only polishing of Para parts. Dawsoon front sight; misc. other clean-ups.

I'll take it to the range tomorrow; next week, I'm in California with Todd J. filming, so I'll have a chance to compare the trigger pulls straight up against each other...

So far, am VERY happy with the work!

Michael B

PS: THANKS Gary Stevens for the referral...

You are welcome Michael. I would suggest you not worry about the long reset. Just get on the trigger and make it talk. The faster you work your finger the better the gun works, and you will never actually notice the long trigger pull.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary :P

RE: Reset...interestingly enough, Bill Rogers teaches a sort of trigger "slap" where the finger comes fully off the trigger as it resets, then (in effect) *slows down* as the finger retouches the trigger and takes up the slack.

The technique was actually a bear for me to pick up because--like most of my friends--I've spent so much time training myself to ride the trigger out to reset. Rogers and Andy Langley's argument was that you couldn't pass the grueling Rogers' certification course *unless* you got beyond riding the trigger out--the plates were simply moving too fast and you accumulated too much "lag time."

It still feels weird to me, but I have to admit it is fast and certainly didn't have a bad effect on accuracy (8-inch plates at 21 yards, exposing for .25 second, actually seemed sort of easy...when everything was working right).

There are a couple of things I like about the Rogers method:

1) Reset becomes a non-issue, since you're coming completely off the trigger anyway.

2) The method is "portable;" I find I'm much less "gun-sensitive" than I was before, which is important because with SHOOTING GALLERY (presently holding its unprecedented high rating through the rerun season, thank you all!) I end up shooting a bunch of different guns.

FWIW...

Michael B