Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 686 in 38 super

keeper

Hay a little help from the forum. Can a 38 super safely make major in a S&W 686?

I have a chance to get one real cheep, and was thinking it might make a great ESR gun for IDPA.

Do you think it would be worth the effort and expence to modify the gun to the super? Is there any advantage to the modification? Or should i just get a 625!

you don't need to make major in IDPA. yes the 38 Super can make major, 686 or anything else. if you pass on the 686 i might be interested.

you don't need to make major in IDPA. yes the 38 Super can make major, 686 or anything else. if you pass on the 686 i might be interested.

A 686 in 38 super will need moon clips won't it? If so that puts you in ESR which requires a 165,000 power factor.

Greg

If the barrel has 38 super on it, I think it should be legal for ESR, as long as you make PF. It's OK to shoot 40 cals out of a 10 mm revo. 38 super is still 38 caliber. As far as the gun handleing the loads, I think that 38 super Cup is less than 357 Mag cup (by about 10k cup). The gun is rated for 357 loads. Just my opinion. A check of the rule book and the recent changes to be sure. Both are available on line. You might want to check the availability of moon clips for the brass.

Hello: My 686-7 is 38 super or so it says on the side of the barrel :roflol: Thanks, Eric

If your 686 came from the factory that way then you are good to go...but shooting moon clipped guns will put you into ESR so you will have to make the 165 power factor, and 4"barrel is the max length.

Not trying to discourage you from shooting IDPA, but there are a lot of rules out there and I hate seeing people spend a lot of money on something that they can't use.

I have a 686 38 super I use for USPSA revolver as well as ESR for IDPA. The performance center mft 500 of those puppies. It uses a .357-.358 bullet and moon clips. Many use Raniers 151 RN or Berry 150 round nose. I recently switched to a .357 plated round nose to save a few dollars.

Startline brass and S&W moon clips are the cadillac package. But range 38 super brass and the other moon clip mft (name escapes me right now) works although there is a bit more slop in the rounds.

Excellent gun. For Major or IDPA ESR I recommend 3n37 powder. For USPSA minor I use 3.4 grains Titegroup.

Have fun

Jim

I have one of the factoru 686's in 38 Super. a great gun through which I only shoot minor loads (151 gr at 919 fps) in ICORE, USPSA and steel challenge. For heavier loads I go to my 625.

Edited by TonyT

• 3 weeks later...

[*]I have 686 P C gun in 38 super it is factor cut for moon clips as is the 627 in 38 super

[*]IPDA use a 160 gain moly coat @ 173 Power factor W/ ACC. powder.

[*]Yes it is a ESR class because of the moon clips.

[*]Steel Challenge & ICORE 135 Gain moly W/ Tite group

[*]T K Custom make a great moon clip for type of brass you are shooting

But in reality, for ESR division you're better off with a 625. Anything making major from a 4" L-frame is going to create fairly snappy recoil. The 625 shooting major is going to feel noticeably softer. And it will reload quicker.

Hay everyone, Thanks for the info. I did get the revo. I decided to keep it as is. with the 105 power factor in ssr, my feeling is the quick recovery time will be more of and advantage then moon clips, (and cheaper) Question for Mike carmony. While tuning the action the hand seems to be staked into the trigger (not removable). and very sloppy Is this a flooting hand? Thanks again Tim

Hmmmmmm....sounds like it could be. The floating hand will be a (ahem) female part that pivots on a fixed pin that is pressed into the trigger. It can be removed by simply lining up the hole and pulling it off the head of the pin.

Sometimes the floating hands tune up fine and there is no problem if they do. On the other hand, if there's a stagey glitch in the action after the cylinder stop locks into its notch, you will probably need to replace it.

The floating hand was only used for a couple years in the late '80s. But S&W is known for using up any old parts they find laying around, so none of the rules are absolute.

Thanks Mike, Yup that's what i have. The revo tuned up nicely with no problems from the floating hand. Can i replace it with the standard trigger and hand?

New question. What's the prevaling wisdom on lower recoiling (feeling) (recovery) reloads. Heavy bullets at slow speed or lighter bullets moving fast? Thanks all.

That's right, you wouldn't need another trigger.

In fact, I would say you'll be just fine with the floating hand. If the action feels good, you might as well leave it in there. The floating hand will function perfectly fine. The only reason we don't like them is that sometimes they can add a crazy glitch to the DA pull. On the other hand, sometimes they're fine just how they are, and it sounds like yours is one of those.

Thanks TG and Mike. I'll leave thing alone for now. Any thoughts on my reloading question. Cal. will be 38Spl. My current load is a 170 gr Billy bullet with 3 gr of clays. This was developed before the 105 power factor rule. My thinking was to use the same bullet and develope a load slow enough to be accurate and make the PF ???

Thanks for The Help Tim