Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B indexing problem

leftee

Hey leftee, welcome to the forums.

Is it binding when you turn the star? Is the set screw tight in the ram? There is a set screw in the left side of the ram that locks the plate bolt in place. The center bolt in the plate is not supposed to be tightened too tight.

Did you tighten the set screw on the shaft? When you pull the handle down, there is a set screw on the left side under the shell plate. You need to tighten the main shell plate bolt tight enough so the shell plate doesn't wobble, but loose enough so that the indexer rotates freely ( takes some trial and error ). After you get it just right, you pull the arm, raise the shell plate, and then go and tighten down that set screw. It prevents the indexer from tightening the bolt as you index it.

Based on your description, that sounds like the issue.

Yes, I've been using the set screw. I think my problem was that I was screwing down the indexer too tight. Seems to work if I leave the star so it's wobbly. Is this normal?

Yes. My star wobbles slightly but the plate does not.

Yes, I've been using the set screw. I think my problem was that I was screwing down the indexer too tight. Seems to work if I leave the star so it's wobbly. Is this normal?

Yes. My star wobbles slightly but the plate does not.

Same here! Just make sure that set screw is tight enough or the bolt will tightin and or to the point where the plate & star will be to tight to turn..

Edited by MARKAVELI

Keep in mind that when you tighten the set screw, it seems to tighten the center screw as well, so you need to balance the 2 screws to get it just right. Its not hard to do, set the center screw then tighten the set screw, then rotate the shell plate at least a couple of full rotations, if its binding go back and do it again till you find the sweet spot.

Seems to work if I leave the star so it's wobbly. Is this normal?

Wobbly? Somebody call me? :rolleyes:

I had a hard time with that too. The center bolt needs to be slightly looser than you'd first think.

If you think about it, the ball detent is going to stop the shell holder where it needs to be regardless of the bolt setting. And since the position of the shell support plate doesn't move if the center bolt is a little loose, there's simply no reason to have that bolt set to a critical clearance. On mine I run it down until it touches and then back off 1/3 turn. The center bolt is 3/8-16 UNC, so each full thread is .062". Therefore 1/3 turn gives you about .020" shell holder clearance.

Try that my friend! ;)

Just to finish the story for those that might be reading this thread, I finally figured out the problem. Two the arms on my indexing star were bent slightly down. This caused the star to sometimes hang on the ejector. To eliminate the hang I had to set the plate too loose which caused other problems. Once I discovered the source of the problem was the bent star, it was easy enough to straighten the arms, and then I could properly set the plate tension, and the indexing problems are now solved.