Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L10 gear

tightloop

Was wondering what is the Hot ticket to shoot L10 at this moment. Is it your good old single stack or the wide body gun.

My L10 times on most stages which I have set up which do not require more than 10 rounds are as fast or faster than my Limited times. Presently shooting my single stack but have questioned if a widebody gun has any real advantages, other than the huge hole in the butt.

I know some of the top shooters use the 6" single stack in .45. I have a Baer Monolith Heavy Weight 5" in .45 that I LOVE. Just enought extra weight up front to help with recoil.

I feel that I reload a wide body just a little faster, but the single stack is MUCH more copmfortable in my hand.

Just what I like, doesn't mean its "The Hot Set Up." :ph34r:

I think the Wide's have the advantage in a couple of thinsg:

1) Wide bodys seem to be faster to reload. Usually big magwells, and those nice tapered mags.

2) the real 'race' holsters (way out of my league) seem to fit the STI/SVIs, than the SS's.

3) I think that 40's shoot softer

But I shoot L-10 with a Kimber Target II, BladeTech Kydex holster, Chip mags

I love my single stacks and don't feel screwed against the double stack guns, but a person would be nuts (IMHO) to buy a SS if starting from scratch.

I use a Ghost holster and mag pouches that are my own creation on a Gilmore inner/outer belt.

The "hot ticket" for most is to use what you already own. If you shoot Limited...you'll probably use what you already own and are familiar with. After all, why spend the extra money and have to switch gun type/style if you don't have to. ;)

Much had been said (and inferred) that the Single Stack pistol is at a disadvantage to a Wide Body solely on the basis of mag well size alone. It's true, BUT with a bit of practice it can be overcome. My series 70 Colt Gold Cup to me to "M" in Limited not by dumb luck but with hard work. :o

If you shoot both Divisions...it would only make "sense" to use what you already own and are familiar with. Making THAT decision is the "hot ticket". ;) Unless your TGO and he could bring a slingshot to the Nationals and "wax ya" with it. :lol:

Chuck

I understand completely. Got out the SS today and had a personal best on a familiar drill. Been shooting Ltd, but it just seems like a lot of trouble. thinking about shooting L10 instead of Ltd.

Tightloop:

L10 division single handedly saved me from throwing in the IPSC towel. I've had numerous conversations/brain storming sessions with my Area Director about L10. Thankfully he was not only receptive to my ideas/input but he was absolutely convinced we needed the division...and lobbied HARD for it until it became reality. It's a debt I could NEVER repay. L10 is HIS baby...thanks Rob.

L10 is a BIG draw for me for two reasons. 1st , I'm a 45 acp fan. It's my only "connection" to my early days shooting IPSC as a teenager with my father. Guns (modification wise, technology wise) are different, holsters are different etc... But the caliber is still competitive in situations where capacity is regulated. Secondly, L10 takes the guesswork and/or gamesmanship out of most field courses. It's a lazy mans way of saying..."You only have 10 rounds so your reloads have to be made here...and here...and here... ;) With THAT out of the way, I'm free to concentrate on hits and movement. I was never very good at "saving a reload here and there" simply because I chose not to clutter my mind up further with those techniques top Limited division shooters need to be successful.

It's simple, they excell in that aspect, I don't. So, I shoot L10 where this isn't such a big issue. :lol: I haven't shot in Limited division since L10's inception. I MAY shoot some this summer...or I may not.

I have a top notch SV built in my favorite caliber by a close friend. If not...I'd buy a Springfield single stack in Stainless Steel...a few Wilson 10 round mags and shoot it until it wore out.....in L10 division of course.

Guest Larry Cazes

I've been shooting my Para P14 tricked out by Dawson Precision in L-10 for about a year and a half now. It definitely reloads quicker and easier then any of my single stacks since it has a large magwell from Dawson and the double stack mags are tapered. The only disadvantage I see to a double stack mag setup is that they are definitely a little more difficult to tune to run 100% then good single stack mags like wilson 10 rounders.

Chuck,

1st , I'm a 45 acp fan.

So am I, and I continue to shoot my Glock 21 even in IPSC Production Division, where we don't have a 10 round limit.

Apart from preferring the larger grip size of the G21, I love the big holes made by a 45ACP, which are not only easier to see when blazing through a COF, but they often give me borderline Alphas for predominantly Charlie shots :P

For me, :o the hot setup is a .45 Caspian single stack out of an Ernie hill concealed speed holster. (that's right. Real leather) B) OK so it may not be so hot but I just love this gun and any limitations in my shooting are certainly not the fault of my equipment. I thought the reloads would be an issue when moving from my double-stack open Caspian to the thin gun. I found that the reality was, with a little dry-fire practice, I don't even think about the reloads. They just happen as fast as they do with my doubble stacker. Something about the indian and not the arrow..... ;)