Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow for IDPA SSP?

kriskexplorer

I have an SPO1 shadow and use it in idpa ssp and uspsa production. I had Angus do a competition trigger job on it.

It takes some work to get it under the 39oz rule in ssp. My shadow weighs 38.9oz with plastic grips, smaller safeties, old style mag brake, plastic guide rod, and 10 round mags.

The easier option is the 75 Shadow. Weighs less due to the short dustcover. Starting seeing quite a few of them in both sports recently.

I have an SPO1 shadow and use it in idpa ssp and uspsa production. I had Angus do a competition trigger job on it.

It takes some work to get it under the 39oz rule in ssp. My shadow weighs 38.9oz with plastic grips, smaller safeties, old style mag brake, plastic guide rod, and 10 round mags.

The easier option is the 75 Shadow. Weighs less due to the short dustcover. Starting seeing quite a few of them in both sports recently.

Thanks. As far as I know the SP-01 is an updated version. Is is worth going with the SP-01 and lowering the weight or just go with the 75 shadow? Looking at the pictures of both it looks like the area around the trigger is more open.

You will hear both arguments. Just my opinion. The SPO1 shadow is a bit more undercut around the trigger job and the magwell is beveled. But getting it under weight pushes the price up and you barely get it under the limit. If I shot idpa exclusively, I would go with the new 75 shadow. No need to lighten it, more choices of grips and you don't have to buy 10 round mags at $40 each. Unless you already live in a state that requires it.

IMHO the 75 Shadow is better for playing IDPA, just less nonsense. The under-cut under the trigger-guard is almost identical to the SP-01 Shadow's, barely enough difference to even notice side-by-side.

The extra $100 over a standard Shadow is worth it, as while you do get 1 less mag, it comes with the CZCustoms competition hammer already installed, which is slightly better than the hammer that comes on the standard SP-01 Shadow and the same as what comes on the $1200 Shadow Customs, most end up upgrading their standard SP-01 Shadow hammers to the CZC competition hammer at some point anyway so even buying another mag for the 75 Shadow it still comes out cheaper if you'll want the best trigger-pull possible, and you won't have to deal with the hassle of experimenting with switching out parts/grips/mags in order to make 39ozs for IDPA.

Plus, the shorter dust-cover frame makes for a quicker transitioning gun that aside from being quicker handling otherwise feels about the same as the railed guns.

It looks like is the one to go with then:

http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowsadablk.aspx

Can I change the grips or would that put it over the weight limit. Looking at the sight it looks like it is at 39ozs. I would like to add these if i could: http://czcustom.com/cz-thick-grips-aggressive-checker.aspx

Can the trigger be improved more? I've read about 5lb DA's and around 2lbs for SA's. The specs show 3.5lbs - 4lbs for SA's and around 8lb for DA's.

Don't forget you get Comp hammer, trigger job, extended firing pin, SS guide rod and reduced power springs in that gun for $100 difference!!!

And since it's now approved for both - IDPA SSP and USPSA Production - it's like having two nice guns for the price of one.

I'm actually thinking of making a drop-in kit of parts (complete hammer assembly, trigger and sear cage assembly, all tuned for the frame) I can easily swap in my 75SA to make it 75 Shadow with my SP-01 Shadow slide; since 75 Shadow is not gonna be available in Canada and having one imported on individual basis would make it cost 2X as much.

It looks like is the one to go with then:

http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowsadablk.aspx

Can I change the grips or would that put it over the weight limit. Looking at the sight it looks like it is at 39ozs. I would like to add these if i could: http://czcustom.com/cz-thick-grips-aggressive-checker.aspx

Can the trigger be improved more? I've read about 5lb DA's and around 2lbs for SA's. The specs show 3.5lbs - 4lbs for SA's and around 8lb for DA's.

The weight they list for the 75 Shadows is conservative, expect them to be an ounce or two under 39ozs from what I've seen. You can change grips without fear of pushing it over the limit, the factory rubber ones are the heaviest and even with those on it mine weighed in at around 37ozs and change with a empty 19rd mag. I have tried them all pretty much (grips), finally settling on the thinner VZ G10 grips (which weigh barely anything) but I also like the plain-jane factory plastic ones too. Everybody's hands (and thumbs) are different, and I found that for me the combination of the thinner VZ grips and then the higher-riding regular 75/85 safeties (to make more room for my support-hand do to the thinness) make my gun fit me like no other, but that's splitting hairs as most of the time a CZ with factory grips feels better to most people than just about any gun out there. Maybe see how the factory grips feel and go from there...

As far as improving the trigger further, there are a few things that can push them a little lighter, cheap, easy things too, like stoning/polishing the sides of the hammer or tweaking the trigger-return-springs for less tension (which does in-turn weaken the reset somewhat), beyond that there's experimenting with how many coils you clip off your hammer-spring before you get light-strikes, but that said, they come pretty much GTG for 99% of us even total trigger-snobs, again the listed ratings are pretty conservative, they say 3.5/4.5lbs in SA and 8/9lbs in DA, in reality, delivered they're less/lighter, you can expect around 3lbs in SA and 6.5/7.5lbs in DA without fear of being disappointed.

Hey CK1,

Did you ever try using thicker (curvier) grip on right side and thin and flat on left side?

I'm thinking of going that route, it seems to fit my grip better.

Yeah, I did try that, that's what led me to swapping out the lower/extended 75SA/Shadow safeties for the higher-sitting 75/85-type safeties, they only ride about 1/4" higher but makes a huge difference in feel, since I have larger hands and longish thumbs it's just as comfortable for me and allows me to use both of the thinner panels with plenty of real estate for my support-hand, combined with the thinner grips I get so much meat on the gun it's just awesome, I can hold onto it like it's in a vise. Definitely worth a try for some guys but I know it's not for everybody as I've got a friend who's going to be picking one up soon and for him and his hands he likes it much better with the extended safeties as they come from Angus and Co.

kriskexplorer, forgot to mention, I've had and really like those "Thick" (they're actually pretty darn thin) Aggresive Checker grips too, but they seem to be serially out-of-stock lately, the VZ's are the closest ones to those in thickness and grippyness, they don't look like it in pics but the G10 checkering is really sharp and sticks A LOT better than grip-tape and just as much as the aluminum checkering, I've actually come around to liking them better FWIW...

The weight they list for the 75 Shadows is conservative, expect them to be an ounce or two under 39ozs from what I've seen. You can change grips without fear of pushing it over the limit, the factory rubber ones are the heaviest and even with those on it mine weighed in at around 37ozs and change with a empty 19rd mag.

I weighed mine the other day day and with the VZ grips and a Mecgar mag I was right at 39oz's. It does need to be cleaned though. :D

The weight they list for the 75 Shadows is conservative, expect them to be an ounce or two under 39ozs from what I've seen. You can change grips without fear of pushing it over the limit, the factory rubber ones are the heaviest and even with those on it mine weighed in at around 37ozs and change with a empty 19rd mag.

I weighed mine the other day day and with the VZ grips and a Mecgar mag I was right at 39oz's. It does need to be cleaned though. :D

Wow, I know CZ frames have some variance but well over an ounce, or really closer to two, seems like too much... think my buddies scale may be not to be trusted.

I'm not real worried about mine making it under 39ozs with the VZ grips and a 19rd mag, but I'm going to check it just to be safe ;), good to know, thanks.

kriskexplorer, forgot to mention, I've had and really like those "Thick" (they're actually pretty darn thin) Aggresive Checker grips too, but they seem to be serially out-of-stock lately, the VZ's are the closest ones to those in thickness and grippyness, they don't look like it in pics but the G10 checkering is really sharp and sticks A LOT better than grip-tape and just as much as the aluminum checkering, I've actually come around to liking them better FWIW...

Thanks. I will probably get the CZ ordered soon. Hopefully I can find one in a shop somewhere so I can check it out.

Wow, I know CZ frames have some variance but well over an ounce, or really closer to two, seems like too much... think my buddies scale may be not to be trusted.

I'm not real worried about mine making it under 39ozs with the VZ grips and a 19rd mag, but I'm going to check it just to be safe ;), good to know, thanks.

And mine was with a 16 round mag, does have the rubber pads though.

If you already have the SP01 Shadow and want to shoot IDPA, I know Fords Custom Gunsmithing does accessory rail removal for $100 + $60 for rebluing. I would have to think that milling off the rail bumps (plus a little of the surrounding metal to make it smooth) will put the gun under 39oz. I am a rail hater, so I wouldn't have a problem doing this. My Shadow Target Custom comes in right now at 41oz with the CZ wood grips and a Mecgar 15 rounder.

Edited by Lunker

• 3 weeks later...

If you already have the SP01 Shadow and want to shoot IDPA, I know Fords Custom Gunsmithing does accessory rail removal for $100 + $60 for rebluing. I would have to think that milling off the rail bumps (plus a little of the surrounding metal to make it smooth) will put the gun under 39oz. I am a rail hater, so I wouldn't have a problem doing this. My Shadow Target Custom comes in right now at 41oz with the CZ wood grips and a Mecgar 15 rounder.

Wouldn't getting the rail milled off be considered an external modification?

Wouldn't getting the rail milled off be considered an external modification?

I believe, and people please step in and correct me if I am wrong, that frame mods like that are OK. It is slide mods that are no go.

• 1 month later...

do you know what the smaller safeties saved you? im tring to make weight just about the same way but fear I may have a heavy frame

• 4 months later...

If it's close to the weight there's no reason you can't just shoot in ESP. I'm looking at one of these as well... I'm not keen of putting the SP01 on a diet.... I'd rather shoot ESP and Production and leave it as is. Maybe the regular Shadow T is the way to go.

EDIT: Just realized this isn't true... No full dust cover for ESP. Goofy rules... make the Shadow T more viable. I wish I had a clear understanding of the differences between the SPO1 Shadow and the Shadow T. I like the mag opening of the SP01 and heard the Shadow T's was different... hmmmm

ALSO- SSP doesn't allow you to use a guide rod of different material than it replaces... so you can't switch in a plastic GR to make weight if the factory is steel.

Edited by lugnut

I wish I had a clear understanding of the differences between the SPO1 Shadow and the Shadow T.

ALSO- SSP doesn't allow you to use a guide rod of different material than it replaces... so you can't switch in a plastic GR to make weight if the factory is steel.

I have a CZ Shadow T and love it. I don't know the difference between the two variations. The guide rod is some sort of steel. Others who are far better shot that I have said run it through its paces and said they might have to buy one from the CZ Custom Shop (as I did) as it's a great gun.

The weight of mine is 39.47 ounces. CZ Custom states it is IDPA SSP legal on the website. Is that extra .47 ounce an issue I have to deal with to shoot production? If so, my guess would be grips, but I like the rubber ones that come standard on the Shadow T

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

Walsh-  the major difference between the SP01 and Shadow T is the dust cover- the T doesn't have the full length dust cover.  I think USPSA allows the gun to be 2oz max over the listed factory weight.  If you shoot IDPA- you need it to be under 39oz for SSP.  The rubber grips are much heavier than some of the others that are available fwiw.<br><br>I'm leaning towards the Shadow T as I thought the SP01 was a little nose heavy... and the T is best for IDPA and USPA IMO.

Edited by lugnut

Actually, "Shadow T" or "Shadow Target" is the designation for the Shadows that have adjustable rear-sight; the slide has been milled to accept LPA-cut sights. Below is a quick over view.

There are two primary Shadow type of guns:

1. CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow (full-length dustcover)... http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx

2. CZ 75 Shadow (short or traditional length dustcover)... http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowsadablk.aspx

Within each type, there is the:

1. Shadow T or Target (adjustable rear-sight)... http://czcustom.com/shadowtarget.aspx or http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowtsadablk.aspx

2. Shadow Custom (fixed rear-sight) ... http://czcustom.com/CZ75_SP01_SHADOW_CustomShop.aspx or http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowsadablk.aspx

There are a few other differences among the various fixed rear-sight Shadows (e.g., comp hammer, comp vs regular fixed rear-sight, extended firing pin, etc.)