Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom cuts for a stock EDGE

latech15

I have a factory fresh, blued STI edge. I want to have some custom cuts done to lighten the slide and to personalize the gun a bit.

I would like to see some of what you have dreamed up to customize the Edge. I would really like to do a tri-top from the sight back anyway but after that I am open to suggestion. It has the big flat bottomed front and rear serrations now.

Edited by latech15

Bobby has also worked with Dawson Precision to come up with a front sight that will allow you to tri top the whole slide.

The edge he worked up for Spanky on the forum is sweet.

Bobby has also worked with Dawson Precision to come up with a front sight that will allow you to tri top the whole slide.

Has Dawson made them yet?

Yes, Bobby put one on my Spartan.

post-1793-077242700%201303219881_thumb.jpg

Better pics here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127234

Edited by scooterj

Has Dawson made them yet?

Yes, Bobby put one on my Spartan.

post-1793-077242700%201303219881_thumb.jpg

Better pics here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127234

Bobby has quite an imagination, & will make something special for you too.

post-21447-0-82147500-1308274419_thumb.j

post-21447-0-59077700-1308274454_thumb.j

Well call me crazy, but I thought the reason to buy an Edge was to have the extra weigh,

Your are not alone, I had an SVI that was tri topped and lightened, I shot a Brazos, notice that is all past tense, I just love the feel of the FULL FATBOY Edge! But when it comes to Open Guns I like the light! Put a dot on it.

Well call me crazy, but I thought the reason to buy an Edge was to have the extra weigh,

Your are not alone, I had an SVI that was tri topped and lightened, I shot a Brazos, notice that is all past tense, I just love the feel of the FULL FATBOY Edge! But when it comes to Open Guns I like the light! Put a dot on it.

Thanks I was begining to wonder. Other wise just buy a standard frame and slide, save a shipload of money for trigger time. :cheers:

The weight in the barrel and the dust cover is good on the edge. Those items stay put during recoil. The slide needs to be lightened because less weight moving during recoil means less recoil and muzzle flip.

Kind of like a woman. A little extra weight in the correct places and in the right proportions makes it even better.

FYI

I spoke with Dave Dawson yesterday and he advised against tri topping an edge once is has already been round topped. Apparently the factory tri topping leaves a bit more meat on the slide that you can if you do the tri topping after the factory cuts. He said that he has seen a large number of those guns with cracked slides from doing that. Dave obviously knows way more about these guns than me so I'm going to take his advise.

I'm sure that there are plenty of guys out there who have had this done and probably a bunch who don't have cracked slides yet but I tend to listen when a guy like Dave gives advise. Just because a guy buys a lathe and a mill doesn't make him a machinest or a gunsmith either for that matter. Dave is definitely both.

The weight in the barrel and the dust cover is good on the edge. Those items stay put during recoil. The slide needs to be lightened because less weight moving during recoil means less recoil and muzzle flip.

Kind of like a woman. A little extra weight in the correct places and in the right proportions makes it even better.

AAH, yea now, tell me about that bridge you have for sale :rolleyes::cheers:

I disagree about the lighter slide having less recoil. People lighten slides to get them moving faster, despite the slighter harsher recoil impulse. The 20 ounce slide on my 6" glock 20 cuts recoil big time, it's silly how soft that gun is with major loads.

I disagree about the lighter slide having less recoil. People lighten slides to get them moving faster, despite the slighter harsher recoil impulse. The 20 ounce slide on my 6" glock 20 cuts recoil big time, it's silly how soft that gun is with major loads.

Bingo. More velocity= more muzzle flip

Maybe you are right.

I have a Benny Hill 6" fat free and I thought it was flat shooting. I shot a friend's 5" full dust cover bull barrel gun with slide lightening cuts and it shot much flatter. The issue here is muzzle flip, not recoil. Like an open gun, the flip is what you are trying to get rid of. The recoil is still there, it is just straight back into your hand.

I am no physics major, but it would seem to me that the less reciprocating weight, the less muzzle flip. Add to that MORE WEIGHT sitting still (bull barrel and dust cover) to counteract the reciprocating motion of the slide = Less muzzle flip.

This whole discussion reminds me a lot of the differences in a lighter bullet moving fasted with a snappier recoil vs a heavy bullet moving slower producing a softer (albeit sometimes sluggish) recoil. I have experimented with lots of different loads, from 155gr plated bullets to 200 gr moly coated bullets. I can get them all to 170pf, but they don't all feel the same at a given pf.

Perhaps it is more about personal preference and "feel" to one individual over another. I really don't know. If you took out the part about the lightening the slide for less muzzle flip, can we agree that a gun with (the right) cuts just looks cooler?