Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot IDPA?

Ron Ankeny

I shot a classifier on Sunday. I really burned the first two stages so I went for broke on stage three. Twenty one points down and two misses at the baricade (ouch) for an additional 20.5 seconds. Still did it in 113 seconds.

Just curious, do you see a relationship between IDPA classifications and USPSA classifications? That is, would a Class C shooter in USPSA most likely be a Sharpshooter in IDPA, or am I comparing apples to oranges?

hello, great forum...

i guess i have seen the opposite. you have to really curtail the speed and go for better shot placement.

many of the ipsc guys i know who first did the classifier really blew it...they were shooting quick though...just not as accurate as the idpa scoring system is set up for.

i saw a "gm" drop 30 points per target at 20 meters. normally his speed would have saved the day, but he was screwed with idpa scoring.

then again i have tape of rob leatham shooting a poor (for him!!) 73 second master in cdp.

idpa tried to make the ranking system less intimidating to attract more new shooters (so i was told when i called idpa to push for something like "grand master", or "ultra super duper stud shooter" rank)

i like the higher focus on accuracy over sloppy speed. i think it is a better balance of speed and accuracy. that is part of why i do it.

I made that statement in jest but your answer is right on the money. I've talked to some local TRU team members (Provincial level counter-terrorists) Who train the same way. Their snipers train out to extreme distance even though they know the average distance is around 70 yds.

Pat

Ron,

Many years ago I shot IPSC. Made class A with a P-35. Then for about 8 years, I stopped compeating (but not shooting). I, along with a friend, put together a IDPA club about 2 years ago. Been shooting in matches ever since. Have expert in SSP, CDP, and SSR, and Sharpshooter in ESP (wish we would cut it down abit, each qualification is 90 rounds!)

I missed MA, at our last qualification, by (get this) .24 seconds. I will be in the Arkansas State Championships as an expert, oh well, if I made MA I would be at the low end of MA, if you know what I mean.

I will try again in a few months as I plan on the Texas State Championships in Sept. Try and try again.

I might even shoot IPSC in limited soon (wife kinda worries about how much time I spend with my guns and not with.....)

Deaf

• 1 month later...

I have shot a lot of IPSC (20+ years) and I shoot IDPA these days. The thing is that good shooters are just that good shooters.

I believe IPSC lost touch with reality many years but that doesn't make a Master class IPSC shooter some how incapable of shooting IDPA and doing well. Any capable action shooter can do well in IDPA if he (she) sets his mind to it.

Are the courses of fire in IDPA easier? I don't think so! They are in many cases simpler and have fewer targets but I find them most challenging.

In case anyone cares I'm an IDPA Master

Mike

• 1 month later...

Ron,

I shoot IDPA more than IPSC and I will probably always like it more for the simple reason that its what I cut my teeth on two years ago.

I shoot IPSC when I have the time.

I shoot IDPA reguarly, I have been at the top of CDP for a while in my club (always in the top 5).

Exp, CDP;

Exp, SSP;

SS, ESP (last time I shot the classifier I used a Glock 35 for SSP my time would have easily put me in the Exp. class here too)

last  SSR, SS

In IPSC I dont think I have ever even gotten second in Limited 10. I have only been doing it on a semi regular basis for about 6 months.

Deaf,

Did you shoot the AR State Match this year?

I was the SO on the "CHAIR STAGE" everyone remembers that one, unless of course you were there whil I was taking a break.

Larry Pogue  

I do shoot IDPA and love it.  

I started in USPSA about ten years ago.  It was a lot of fun and I burned a whole bunch of ammo.  I went crazy waiting for a month between matches!  Drove me nuts.

After several years IDPA started up.  It sounded interesting and more to my liking.  When a few clubs formed in northern Ohio I was on the road.  

I joined IDPA about the second year of its existence.  I shoot at about five different clubs within an hour or two from my house.

I've shot in both of the Ohio State Matches.  The first one in SSP and this year in SSR, where I belong.  

I'm a Sharp Shooter in SSP, CDP and SSR, but can't get out of Marksman in ESP with my HiPower.  Something always messes up due to "Operator Error".  I've ordered a Springfield 1911 Loaded in 9mm to increase my chances of moving up to Sharpshooter in ESP.  (because Kimber doesnt make a 9mm).

Lke the man says "It's ALL good."

(Edited by Neil Casper at 2:20 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

I have to disagree with Duane on the IDPA having harder shots.  I've shot courses in IPSC where you had to shoot four inch steel at 20+yards.  The IDPA dosen't really have shooters shoot at small targets because they don't want to make it too hard for the new guys.  What they do do to make it harder is only have a small portion of the A (-0) available for the shot.  That way a novice can hit the target but a serious competitor will have to hit the A zone fast to win.

(Edited by John Thompson at 8:09 am on Aug. 23, 2001)

John,

I guess I phrased it badly. When I said that IDPA required really precise shot placement compared to IPSC, I wasn't saying that IDPA has harder shots - in fact, they're usually easier - but that IDPA penalizes you for shots outside the target's highest scoring area much more severely than IPSC.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 2:22 am on Aug. 24, 2001)

How can I lurk if you guys keep talking about me?

I shot IPSC for years until all the local clubs switched over to IDPA. I like them both. I like that you don't have to be rich to shoot IDPA. When I shot IPSC you needed a new $3000 gun every year.

You CAN shoot fast enough to win in IDPA even with misses. I won SSP EXP at the 1999 Nationals with 2 misses.

Bill Nesbitt

Nobody needs a new $3000- gun every year to be competitive in IPSC.   I'm quite sure that the top ten GM's can kick just about everyones ass with a box stock colt 1911A1(not with the $3,000 Wilson Super Grade I saw someone shooting at an IDPA match last year).  They haven't made a gun yet that can aim and shoot by itself, but then again there never has been a short supply of excuses and rationalizations.

(Edited by John Thompson at 7:47 am on Sep. 1, 2001)

(Edited by John Thompson at 7:49 am on Sep. 1, 2001)

John,

It's not as important now to have a new gun every year with limited 10 & production but it used to be. I was trying to be competitive in IPSC/USPSA from 1984 until 1992 or so. In 1984 I ordered a Nastoff Comp gun in 45. It was state of the art. Before I received it in 1986 .38 Supers were the gun of choice with the stage designs needing 10 shots per shooting position. I was shooting a 45 with 7 or 8 round mags. Then came the Springfield P-9's that held 18 rounds with round counts per stage going up all the time. Then all the STI/SVI/Caspian's etc that held even more rounds. Then you had to have a scope on your gun too. Then extended mags. Do you see where it was going. Along about then Limited was started to perhaps stop the arms race. That just evolved to where you had to have a .40 HiCap because of the screwy stage designs. A new $3000 gun every year would not make you a better shooter but less than the best equipment would keep you from being on the top. I shoot IDPA now with a Model 10 S&W revolver and kick butt with it. It is my skill that lets me win and I don't need expensive equipment to do it. I don't need excuses and rationalizations now that stage design is better where I shoot. Maybe this should be in with Brian's rant about stage design.

***Rant Mode Off***

Bill Nesbitt

I agree with bill in a way, but boy those 32 round field courses are a BLAST to shoot!

bill, i thought you were shooting a 625? not much butt to kick in revolver division! ( don't let that fool you folks he places pretty high in the overall ranks that we can't talk about)

i shoot production, and limited limited with a kimber single stack..... i will let you all guess what i shoot in production by the icon.

smoney,

I think we are allowed to talk about our classifier scores in IDPA.

It is more fun to beat people with a speedloader gun. Many people think they aren't competitive. I think they are. My goal is to beat everbodys butt, not just the other revolvers.

Yes 32 round field courses are a blast until you do a few standing reloads because the course was designed only for HiCaps.

Flexmoney,

That IS a lot of Glocks. However they hadn't been invented yet during the time I am talking about. In the last few years the arms race has stabilized.

Hey, are you 2 guys related????

Bill Nesbitt

Flexmoney,

I've been away for a spell and haven't been visiting this forum.

I live in Erie County about 4 miles south of THE lake.

I shoot at- South Cuyahoga Sportsman's Club, North Olmsted Sportsman's Club, Youngstown Rifle & Pistol, The Shooting Gallery in Boardman, Ashland Lake Gun Club, and I shot in the first match held by the newest IDPA club in Ohio,  United Conservation & Outdoor Association.

I used to shoot at Fireams Unlimited in Milan and Ohio Practical Shooters at Copley before they had to shut down.