Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers and compressed loads

Sarge

As I mentioned in another post I am having trouble with some loads making desired pf out of my 9MAJOR.

I am using SPP since I have so many on hand.

If the cases are way full of powder will spp have a hard time getting things to burn properly? Could this be the problem. The WAC load that works well is nowhere near a full case. But 3N37 is a compressed load and the Silhouette load is a pretty full case.

Just wondering if a hotter primer would help. If so, SPM or go with SR?

Thanks

Sarge, I'm shoting 38S, and my load is way compressed, like 1/8" or less from spilling...I have always used SPM primers and had no issues. Most shooting MJ 9 are using SR primers, I think. That might be the issue though...not enough flame/fire? Does your local store sell primers by the hundred so you can try it out?

Grumpy, I gotto thinking about this again last night. Now I'm not so sure it could be the primers since the loads that are coming in on the weak side are still very consistant over the chrono. Single digit SD's being the norm. Seems like ignition issues would show up as more fluctuation?

Grumpy, I gotto thinking about this again last night. Now I'm not so sure it could be the primers since the loads that are coming in on the weak side are still very consistant over the chrono. Single digit SD's being the norm. Seems like ignition issues would show up as more fluctuation?

Maybe....But if the primers are consistent, and you aren't getting a complete burn with them, then a hotter primer definitely won't hurt....I would try soem magnum primers or even small rifle and see what they do....From what I can gather about your load, the only difference between yours and others is the primer, yet they are making mj easily....What does your primer look like after it is fired?

As I mentioned in another post I am having trouble with some loads making desired pf out of my 9MAJOR.

I am using SPP since I have so many on hand.

If the cases are way full of powder will spp have a hard time getting things to burn properly? Could this be the problem. The WAC load that works well is nowhere near a full case. But 3N37 is a compressed load and the Silhouette load is a pretty full case. Thanks

Sarge with Silhouette use SPM, burns cleaner and takes less powder to make major. At DT some idiot told me everyone shooting Silhouette Minored, well not so there were two of us in my squad and we easily made major, I did it w/7.6gr SPM and the other guy had 7.9gr SPP. Go figure. Silhoutte is reverse temp sensative takes more powder when its hot, it was 106.

Autocomp works fine with SPP, as does 3N37, although I found 3n37 a bit snappy for may tastes. HS6 is also good but again SPM for cleaner better burn. SR are almost like SPM.

Hey Top,

What's your WAC load setup? I'm going out to the range today to test some WAC and HS-6 loads I made up. I'm using CCI SPM for all these test loads although I also have a ton of SPP on hand.

I'll post my info, would you do the same? Thanks...

Edited by gng4life

Hey Top,

What's your WAC load setup? I'm going out to the range today to test some WAC and HS-6 loads I made up. I'm using CCI SPM for all these test loads although I also have a ton of SPP on hand.

9MAJOR 5" Briley Barrel no holes.

7.2 WAC @1.165 W/ MG 121 IFP's. WSP 171 PF AVG velocity 1415

7.4 went to 173 with no significant improvements in handling, dot movement, etc. AT LEAST FOR ME. Let me know what you get.

Hey Top,

7.4 went to 173 with no significant improvements in handling, dot movement, etc. AT LEAST FOR ME. Let me know what you get.

Roger WilCo

Hey Top,

Well, I should have loaded more rounds. I started low (first time with this powder) at 6.5 WAC, 1.165, CCI SPM and range brass. I was averaging 1224 so I was only at 151 PF. I went up to 7.0 and only got up to an average 1328 which is 164 PF. I was thinking of going up to 7.4 to see where I'm at but I was testing HS-6 at the same time. I noticed at the same PF, HS-6 was noticeably softer and flatter so not as much dot movement. I only got up to 164 with HS-6 but it wasn't as "violent" as WAC. I plan on loading up some more HS-6 and see how it is at about 171 PF.

One note on CCI SPM vs SPP with one load today. I loaded up 20 rounds of 6.9 WAC with SPP and 20 rounds of 6.9 WAC with SPM. My average with the SPP was 15fps higher than with the SPM, strange. I have read that WAC is better with SPP anyway.

At DT some idiot told me everyone shooting Silhouette Minored, well not so there were two of us in my squad and we easily made major, I did it w/7.6gr SPM and the other guy had 7.9gr SPP. Go figure. Silhoutte is reverse temp sensative takes more powder when its hot, it was 106.

I went 176PF with Silhouette on Sunday, chrono was our last stage. 115 Zero JHP - 8.7 Silhouette - CCI400. I was expecting a bit lower but, the heat hadn't really cranked up by the time we got to chrono. Couple hours later in the day may have taken it down a couple points.