Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem w/Shadow

470nitro

Guys:

Could use some help on an issue I saw today for the 2nd time in two weekends with a CZ Custom Shadow from CZ Custom.

CZ75 Shadow Custom from Angus.Pistol used during a stage, working fine through 1-4 magazines and suddenly hammer won't drop when the trigger is depressed. Safety is totally off and slide appeared to be in full battery (I stopped and stared at both areas both times).

First time happened in the middle of a stage last weekend, but I just racked the slide and resumed shooting. Wasn't a problem afterward that day.

Today, had just finished a stage and after unload and show clear, released the slide and pulled the trigger and hammer again wouldn't drop. As stage was over, I really took my time checking the safety and even tried pressing down again. Checked and verified the slide was fully closed and in battery also. Racked slide once and still no hammer drop when pulling trigger. Finally racked a second time and hammer dropped as it was supposed to. At safety table afterwards, no problems at all getting hammer to fall on empty chamber (couldn't replicate issue).

Have any of you seen something like this before and if so, any ideas of what I should check before I call CZ Custom Monday morning.

Thanks in advance.

is the trigger free to move or is it stuck in one place?

Not 100% on this but I believe it was free to move. Felt very much like having the thumb safety on (cocked & locked).

So far, I haven't had this happen in double action, just single.

Not 100% on this but I believe it was free to move. Felt very much like having the thumb safety on (cocked & locked).

I had that happen when my trigger reset screw was in too far. It was just at the edge of the limit and didn't happen all the time. I backed out 1/2 turn and never had an issue. Luckily I noticed it during dry fire.

Edited by huskerlrrp

I had that happen when my trigger reset screw was in too far. It was just at the edge of the limit and didn't happen all the time. I backed out 1/2 turn and never had an issue. Luckily I noticed it during dry fire.

That's what I was going to say. Sounds like it isn't resetting. I found my O/T screw walking out and I loctited it in place and started feeling a tick in the hammer when I was letting it down manually after loading. Turns out that I had adjusted the screw in too far and the hammer was catching on the sear. Could be that your is set so far in that it cant reset every time.

Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith, or even a good home mechanic.

I had a similar issue with my Shadow. It was time for a fresh trigger return spring.

You might also check that there is no gunk built up in front of the trigger bar inside the frame.

Q-Tips are your friend.

I'd check this.

Worth mentioning while on the subject: it's important to set the overtravel screw so that if you hold the trigger back after dry-firing, and then rock the hammer, that you don't feel anything contacting, not even slightly... if you're feeling a hint of "rubbing" it means the hammer-hooks are able to rub up against the sear and beat it up, that'll lead to problems sooner rather than later (and will mean a new sear at the very least, maybe a new hammer too). A slight hair of overtravel is a good thing over absolutly zero anyway as it makes a gun more forgiving in rapid-fire.

Everybody:

First of all, thanks to all of you for the fast and accurate replies.

Was out all week and finally today had some time to try to replicate the problem. Thanks to you, while I originally could not duplicate the issue, I made maybe a 1/16 turn in on the overtravel screw and the hammer would never drop. Must have been right on the edge of not working.

I also took the advice of several of you and incrementally backed out the screw testing between movements by holding the trigger and rocking the hammer until I felt nothing dragging which I did initially before backing the screw out. At the end, I could feel contact of the hammer with something near the half cock point even if I withdrew the screw completely out of play. Called CZ Custom and Eric there felt fairly certain that the hammer itself was likely making light contact with the frame at that point as apparently some hammers do, particularly the non-competition hammer which I have on mine. He told me that if that was the case, not to worry about it.

Again, I really appreciate the help.