Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR1911 Spring changes

hankfan79

Just recently picked up my SR1911. I have always preferred a lighter recoil spring along with a lighter mainspring in 1911's However, since the Ruger is new to the market, I haven't been able to find any info of their spring weights. I do know that Ruger uses a Titanum firing pin (like Springfield) to pass the drop test. Having said that, do you guys think that is has a heavy mainspring? The Ruger doesn't have anything out of the ordinary than any other 1911 so I assume the recoil is going to be 16#.

I would like to run a 14# Recoil and a 17# mainspring. Do you think I am going to have any issue with this Ti Pin and the mentioned spring weights? I always run Federal primers.

Just recently picked up my SR1911. I have always preferred a lighter recoil spring along with a lighter mainspring in 1911's However, since the Ruger is new to the market, I haven't been able to find any info of their spring weights. I do know that Ruger uses a Titanum firing pin (like Springfield) to pass the drop test. Having said that, do you guys think that is has a heavy mainspring? The Ruger doesn't have anything out of the ordinary than any other 1911 so I assume the recoil is going to be 16#.

I would like to run a 14# Recoil and a 17# mainspring. Do you think I am going to have any issue with this Ti Pin and the mentioned spring weights? I always run Federal primers.

That should run like a top - what did the GS say that is doing your trigger job?

post 2 and 3 answered you question I think.

Nope. No answers about Ruger having a heavy mainspring. What are the effects of changing to a lighter mainspring while using a Ti firing pin?

If you want to know the spring rates Ruger uses, why not ask them...we can only assume they would be standard 16/21.

The 14/17 in conjuction with a ti firing pin should be perfectly fine. This was answered already for you earlier. That is the combination I have used for many years with no issues.

If you want to know the spring rates Ruger uses, why not ask them...

Well since this question was posted on Saturday, they would obviously be closed. :yawn:

As I have found the answers elsewhere, your assumptions were wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Wes, I use a 14# without a buff and 12.5 with a buff. Main spring is a 16#. Yes, Wolf does make a 16# spring. A 15# feels too light. My ESP 1911 uses a 9# spring to handle the tremendous recoil generated by the 230 gr bullet thundering along at 550 fps!!!!!!!!

My bud Randy is looking for a Ruger. I am interested in the internal parts. I read one review that said the Ruger uses the link to push the barrel up into battery. That is not good. That's what the bottom lugs are for.

Edited by Joe D