Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of mounting a scope on my carry handle???

HiCapMag

I am thinking of going the tactical class route, but I have a Bushy carry handle AR. Do you think I can mount a scope on top of that sucker without getting totally FUBARed due to the extreme height?

Has anyone mounted an optic this way? What are your thoughts (besides buying that Clark upper with the flat top I have been eyeing).

Thanks!

You could buy a flat top upper, the additional carry handle (if you really wanted carry handle sights) and then you'd have a platform for an optic and when you got tired of that, take the scope off and put the carry handle on.

Rich

If you want to mount a telescopic sight, you would be best served by getting the flat top.

If you want to use a red dot, you can get excellent results by using one of the many "gooseneck" mounts that attach to the carry handle and put the red dot scope over the handguard at about the same height as your iron sights. There are some topics around that have lists of many of them that are available from Leapers, GG&G, ARMS, Bennie Cooley, etc.

Another option for the red dot is to get a free float tube with rails, but that's even more extravagant than a new flat top upper.

My ancient - but lightweight and accurate - SP1 AR15 currently wears a TA01 on the carrying handle , and it works fine for most tasks - but it's S-L-O-W, plus the offset is horrendous for close in shots, it's about 6" above the bore. And you need a riser on the stock for a decent cheek weld.

I'm going to transfer the scope to another gun, and install the EOTech holosight in a (EOTech) co-witness carrying handle mount, that allows full use of the iron sights while securely mounting the holo just above the handguard, immediately forward of the receiver.

Flattops are easier to scope, but carrying handle AR's are far from obsolete.

• 1 month later...

The "gooseneck" mounted red dot I used at last weeks match worked really well. I had the rifle zeroed for 10 yards and it was also dead on at 40 yards. Since it's my match and I always know what distances are involved, this setup should work for me.