Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replicating Speer Gold Dot Carry Ammo...

famous187

I'm wanting some information on how to replicate my personal carry ammmo. I carry a Glock 19 9mm with Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP standard pressure. Whenever I'm shooting at the range doing F.A.S.T. drill or something similar I generally finish the day with a F.A.S.T. drill using my carry ammo and it is always the best and most accurate of the day. For my practice ammo I use my reloads (HSM Plated Bullets) and Winchester White Box. I was thinking that replicating my carry load would be beneficial in many ways for my training. Anyone else do this and how did you come up with the correct load?

thanks

chris

Go to speer's website and find out the velocity of your load. I belive it is around 1150 fps. Then find a bullet the same weight and a powder that will give you that velocity at that same oal. I beleive you can even buy gold dot bullets.

Thanks for the replies so far. I currently have the following sorted out on what I'm going to use to duplicate the Gold Dots:

Bullet : Speer 124gr TMJ

Primer : CCI No. 500 SPP

Brass : Once Fired Sorted by Headstamp

Still debating on what powder to use. I currently have HP-38 and Bullseye on hand but, according to my Speer #13 manual neither of those come close to the 1,150 velocity of the GD's. I'm thinking of picking up a jug of Alliant Power Pistol. According to my manual it would work as far as velocity is concerned. My #13 manual doesn't list data for the 124gr TMJ, just the SP and JHP. My dad has the Speer #12 manual which does have the 124gr data so I'll have to borrow the info from his book.

So do you guys think the Power Pistol would be a good choice for this load? I've never used it before.

thanks

chris

I'm not a fan of Power Pistol, especially indoors. It's more for replicating the sound and muzzle flash of a battle ship's guns.

A buddy of mine duplicates his 9mm +p+ carry ammo using HS-6. There are no pressure signs. It's also the ammo a lot of 9mm major guys are safely using and you can see why when you look at the pressure numbers. From Hodgdon's website:

125 GR. SIE FMJ

Hodgdon HS-6

1.090"

Start: 6.4 1131 25,600 CUP

Max: 6.8 1169 27,100 CUP

Most 9mm data has a max load in the 30k-32k range. SAAMI max fore standard pressure is 35k.

Plated bullets are generally known to suck as far as accuracy, Id look at montana gold or precision delta for a stock glock, or moly for a traditional barrel. But as long as the recoil is similar, it should really matter that much if the rounds dont group as well.

You could pull one of the bullets from the Speer ammo and examine the powder.

That way you'd know if it was ball, flake or some combo of the two.

I doubt that Speer uses canister grade powder but examining the powder might give you a clue as to single base or double base powder.

I'd actually suggest Power Pistol. I always get great velocity well below the max loads listed in reloading manuals. I'd tend to agree that there's more flash than some other choices, but I don't notice it and I like the fact that it's good velocity for the pressures. I love Power Pistol for my 147 grain 9mm IDPA loads...it makes PF easy and the sights hardly move. I used to use it for my SIG P229 in Limited 10, too. Just haven't shot that gun in a while or I'd still be shooting it. I'm not a particularly good shooter, so someone with a better skill set might have different experiences.

Let us know how you make out.

Warmest regards,

Rob