Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use Rainer Lead Safe Bullets?

DFinan

I have gotten my first reloading press, and gear and am about to buy bullets to do my first reloads. Has anyone used or have any experience with Rainer Lead Safe Total Copper 230 grain RN ( I will be shooting them out of an HK45). I am going to use them with Clays for the powder, and Winchester Pistol Primers. My plan is to try and load to factory spec level to start with and get experience reloading before I start adjusting things. If anyone has suggestions on a different bullet to use I am all ears, but I cant do cast lead bullets, from what I have read my HK polygonal barrel will have issues with them.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by DFinan

You might try searching on this. There have been many threads on this topic. Generally what I think you will find that:

1) They work fine for some. Others don't get good accuracy with them. The plating is thin so you need to make sure you are belling the case enough and not crimping too hard as either can damage the plating. If in doubt you can pull a few bullets to check.

2) You may want to look at pricing on these. They seem to have gotten up there in the range of jacketed bullets. I would suggest comparing what you are paying to say buying montana gold bullets by the case. The montana gold bullets are a true jacketed bullet. The jacket is much thicker than the plating which eliminates the concerns about damaging it.

3) You could also look at the coated bullets like Bayou or precision or BBI as an in between option.

If they're all you have to start with you're OK. Not a great bullet choice for bulk loading. Use lead bullet loading data from your manuals.

IMHO quality hard cast or moly coated is the way to go with 45 ACP.

Make sure you chrono them. I switched over to them recently (i had a bunch on hand) when i was having feeding problems with my SWC. Took and extra .4 gr of powder to get the same PF :unsure: . A bunch of frantic testing 3 days before you leave for Nationals isnt fun....trust me!

• 2 weeks later...

All I shoot are the Rainer's and I have no issues with loading them or how they shoot. Although I have not chrono'ed them, they are pretty accurate. I went through my first 2500 rounds of the 200gn RN with no issues, I ordered 100 of the 200gr SWC to see if they would cycle in my gun and they worked fine. I ordered 2500 rounds of the 200gr SWC and so far have shot about 500 of them between my son and I with no issues. I shoot a couple times a week at an indoor range on my lunch hour, I shoot a Les Baer and my son is shooting a Sig P220.

Hey DFinan, I have used Reinier 230grRn and 200grHp, when I first started loading and loading this type of bullet I was messing em up nicking em and or over crimping em. But havenot had a problem reloading with Renier bullets I think they are good bullets, but like mention above there are better bullets like Montana Gold (MG) that you can get in a more larger bulk and reinier are my go to bullets when I'm out of MG our they are on back order for round nose 230gr 1.260 C.O.A.L. 7.3 to 7.5gr of Power Pistol (Allient says that 8.1 is the max load)is what I use.. Good luck.

I have used 200gr RN with no problems. Once I get through with them I will probably switch to Precision Molys however. No particular reason why, I switched to them in .40 and have been really happy with performance.

• 4 weeks later...

post-33297-0-14745400-1310601299_thumb.jI had a boatload of issues with their 230gr plated RN. It has a different ogive and profile than a standard GI 230gr FMJ. Couldn't get them to work in any of my 4 1911's. Finally just chucked them...

Win 230gr FMJ on left. Rainier on the right.

post-33297-0-14745400-1310601299_thumb.jI had a boatload of issues with their 230gr plated RN. It has a different ogive and profile than a standard GI 230gr FMJ. Couldn't get them to work in any of my 4 1911's. Finally just chucked them...

Win 230gr FMJ on left. Rainier on the right.

Those look like they have a roll crimp on them. I've used them in my G21 without issues.

I haven't used Rainer in years. Not due to performance but due to cost. I have found I can get true jacketed for about the same cost. I am going with Bayou bullets for my .45 . I have had tumbling issues with another brand of plated bullet in 9mm. At close IDPA range they seem to tumble close enough to the zero zone. I'll shoot 'em up and move on to something else.

Edited by 19852

• 3 weeks later...