Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P pro 9mm recoil springs

Morgan Patrick

What recoil spring weight should I use for my m&p pro 9mm? I have an Apex competition kit installed. I would like to hear your trials and errors instead of reinventing the wheel. Please be specific. What worked and what didn't and what were the specific pros and cons of each one. Help a brother out. Thanks!

I ran a shortened Apex striker spring, and an 11lb recoil spring. It worked on all ammo EXCEPT RWS. Super hard primers.

I bumped up to a 13lb spring with the Gen 5 striker assembly (has a slightly stronger striker spring) to get the RWS to ignite every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the tungsten or stainless guide rods available from speed shooters specialties? Which one should I go with?

I'm using a tungsten in my M&P9L. I love having the extra weight out front, but that is such a personal thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

But for the 5" M&P's who's springs are you using? Wolff says their M&P springs are for 4.25" models only ( I called to verify).

My 9L is 5" and the Wolff springs and guide rods are working fine. The factory part between the 5" and 4.25" models is identical, so there's no reason why an aftermarket part would be specific to either. The compact models do take a different part.

My guess is the person you got on the phone just wasn't familiar with the fact that the recoil guide rod/springs were the same between 4.25" and 5" models.

• 9 months later...