Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock wont cycle

bodene 5

no access to chrono cycles fine with factory ammo ,, sometimes stovepipe , sometimes stays in chamber gen 3 fairly new piece about 200 rounds of factory ammo and about 20-25 round of my reloads through it working up to the max slowly like everyone else getting a feel for reloading

Hey there

Hodgdon Data (http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html)shows 4.7 as the starting load and 5.1 max for a 115 gr FMJ projectile. I would bump your charge up by .1 or .2 and see how that works. If it doesn't cycle by 5.0, come back and see us ;)

You can always throw in a lighter recoil spring also if you want to stay at 4.7gr.

Edited by soundwave

i met an old timer at the range tonite he mentioned with the 231 it would take 4.9 to 5.0 to cycle correctly :wacko:

That sounds about right to me, unless you install a lighter recoil spring.

sorry guys long day at work . the manual is speers latest version 14 . the projectile i am using is a 115 tmj round nose . buddy is bringing a chrono this sunday when we go to the range i will bump it up .1 and load a few by .2 and check it out. thank you for the input it helps alot

is that normal for a glock to be towards the top end of load data to function properly? and excuse the green bean question but what about a 124 gr projectile? also have a 2nd gen 17 but have not tried any of my reloads in that i thought i would focus on one at a time . any thoughts ?

is that normal for a glock to be towards the top end of load data to function properly?

No. It isn't. Sounds like your slide isn't moving fast enough. Your either over sprung (unlikely, unless you changed spring weights) or under gripped (far more likely).

Make sure your gun is well lubed and you are using a firm, high grip.

Good luck.

Yeah, glock recoil springs are great for factory loads. When you start reloading especially with a lighter bullet like 115g it changes things. Try either a lighter recoil spring (12-15 pounds) or use a heavier bullet. I'd go with a lighter recoil spring. I use a 125g RN behind 3.9g of Univ Clays. My G34 has an 12 lbs recoil spring.

Suggest you try a 13lb recoil spring, think you'll like the mussel flip-recoil a little better, even if you bump the load a little. Always recheck after changing spring weights, it can effect power factor.

when it does cycle with factory rounds they eject past my right ear i am right handed loaded up 4.8 and 4.9 ten of each at 1.135 oal with 231 also rechecked my crimp what do you guys use to zero youre scales? mine is a dillon eliminator scale i have a cheap digital scale between the two they are about 1 grain off . placed a 125 gr sierra bullet on the digital =125 ,then on the dillon scale= 126 :huh:

when it does cycle with factory rounds they eject past my right ear i am right handed loaded up 4.8 and 4.9 ten of each at 1.135 oal with 231 also rechecked my crimp what do you guys use to zero youre scales? mine is a dillon eliminator scale i have a cheap digital scale between the two they are about 1 grain off . placed a 125 gr sierra bullet on the digital =125 ,then on the dillon scale= 126 :huh:

You should have a set of "check" weights. They are pretty cheap.

Bullets vary in weight.

checked them with my buddys chrono only 815 fps come to find out my scales are 1 grain off instead or my loads at 4.7 they were at 3.7 no wonder . :D i would like to thank all of the great folks on this forum for thier great advice . back to square one for me will post loads when i get things going thanks again everyone

I would double and triple check your scale against others before you go loading another grain higher... 1 grain off at 126 gr is less than one percent off. 1 grain off at 4.7 and 5.7 is an overpressure situation waiting to happen. 1 percent off at 4.7 is no BFD though...

finally 4.5 of 231 and 115 cmj @ 1.135 oal works well in my 19 groups are not bad either thanks again to all :D also have mg 147cmj flat nose and mg 124 jhp anybody load these with 231 what is a good starting point and oal for both thanks again :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

found out that the 19 loves mg 147cmj @ 3.7 of 231 @1.115 this was very accurate at 25 yards i was happy that i made progress .the 17 seems to like 124 hornady fmj rn with 4.2 of 231 @1.135oal . need to tweak both just a hair but overall pretty tickled :D