Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SureFire Shot Timer app now updated for iPhone4

SeaTact

I was pleasantly surprised to find that SureFire finally released an updated version of their free app on 5/23/2011. Version 1.5 works for iPhone 4's. It can even pick up dry fire! It definitely works with my Glock & snap cap. I haven't tried to do it with holster draw strokes so I don't know if the app will get confused. But hey, it's free and even my CED7000 can't pick up pistol clicks.

Wish they would make for Ipad as well. My carrier does not have IPhone yet. Have used with friends phones and works well.

Just got a I4 and the apps are amazing for shooters. Anything for range finding on there worth a darn?

Does this mean I have to buy a Mac and spend all day day at Starbucks looking "vaguely interesting"?

;)

• 1 month later...

Wish they would make for Ipad as well. My carrier does not have IPhone yet. Have used with friends phones and works well.

You should be able to use it with your iPad. Just run the iPhone app. If you have the original iPad, it doesnt have a [significant] microphone so it may not work.

[corrected per KungFuNerd]

Edited by gjeepguy

Checking out the SureFire App now.

The IPSC App lets you record and store"Profiles".

So you record your Dryfire, Airsoft, .45 at the indoor Range, .22 Outdoors etc and save them and recall them as needed.

I got mine tweaked where it knew the difference between the click of my Kydex Holster and falling Hammer.

Setting the iPhone near the Pistol's firing position makes it the most accurate.

Tried out SureFire.

It isn't as consistent as the IPSC Timer App.

I've used it dry fire with Glock and 1911 and also with Airsoft.

I found that with Dry Fire you create a profile and then increase the sensitivity a bit.

A big benefit is that you can see a list of Strings and get a quick idea of what your average is.

Saving multiple Sound profiles is a big plus as well.

With a 1911 it can get confused from the Thumb Safety clicking off but I got it tweaked to work well.

If you set the phone or iPad up near where your pistol will be when fired, your dry fire will read better.

Putting it on your weak side also keeps it farther from your holster and farther from your Safety noise (if you have one).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Outstanding, Thanks, I am downloading it now.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that SureFire finally released an updated version of their free app on 5/23/2011. Version 1.5 works for iPhone 4's. It can even pick up dry fire! It definitely works with my Glock & snap cap. I haven't tried to do it with holster draw strokes so I don't know if the app will get confused. But hey, it's free and even my CED7000 can't pick up pistol clicks.

Since I downloaded IOS 5 the Surefire timer app immediately crashes. Has anyone heard of an update of the app for the new OS?

Still works on my iOS5 iPhone 4. Not sure what that means.

And now it doesn't. What the heck.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten mine to start working again, though I didn't do anything. Just keep trying at various points during your day, and once you get it up and stable DO NOT TURN IT OFF EVER. Let that app stay in the background until you actually need to use it. Best I can do right now until they update it. Keep trying!

• 3 months later...

My 3GS just updated to iOS 5.0.1. This app will work after several attempts. Don't turn it off, leave it in the background until surefire finds a fix.

Surefire Shot Timer version 1.6 posted March 4, 2012

IT WORKS FOR 5.0.1!!!

Very pleased that it's back. It still picks up slide release and striker click for reload practice.

If you don't have this already for your iPhone do a search for "surefire shot timer".

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here