Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf / Tula Primers & Extended Firing Pin

LexTalionis

Cajun Gun Works sell a reduced power firing pin spring that will give your Extended firing pin more bang for the buck.

CCI primers are also on sale, as are Federal Magnum primers, the only Tula's I saw on sale were magnums.

I did notice that we have had another price increase, capitalism doesn't seem to be working as advertised, the supply is going up but so it the price.

Never tried Tula or Wolf, I've read too many horror stories. If one in 10K didn't go off that would be one too many for me.

Edited by CocoBolo

Used Wolfe SP & SRs with standard firing pin and extended since it was the only primers I could find. Had problems with all combinations. Started with primers at .003-.004" depth and eventually went to seating primers to .007" which helped alot. Now using CCI SR with seating depth at .003-.004". Have not had a single miss fire since using up the Wolfes. Use an extended firing pin and 13 lb. main spring. Considering going back to standard firing pin. Once the CCI SR are gone. I'll be using 20k of CCI SPs. Don't expect any problems. YMMV.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. It looks like I'll be staying away from the Russian brands.

You may have to stay away from CCI primers too.

I have extended firing pins in Shadow and 75SA and had 80-90% ignition with CCI primers - thats at least one round not going off per mag. Both guns have tuned (cut) 13# main springs.

Using Federals only but had to see for myself what'd happen if I had CCIs. I loaded and shot 1K of CCIs.

Do NOT cut firing pin spring - if too short or not powerful enough - you risk going into full auto if and when slide slams forward and pin's inertia drives it out breach face enough to ignite the primer.

Oh, just realized I posted up above :D

Factory Shadow's main spring should be 18#.

Cajun Gun Works sell a reduced power firing pin spring that will give your Extended firing pin more bang for the buck.

CCI primers are also on sale, as are Federal Magnum primers, the only Tula's I saw on sale were magnums.

I did notice that we have had another price increase, capitalism doesn't seem to be working as advertised, the supply is going up but so it the price.

Never tried Tula or Wolf, I've read too many horror stories. If one in 10K didn't go off that would be one too many for me.

CGW also sells a 'lighter' extended firing pin ++. http://www.cajungunworks.com/ultra-lite.html

I have a Angus worked SP01 Shadow and never have had any problem with many thousand CCIs but do only get about 90% out of the Wolf primers. I will try the extended firing pin and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd report back in. I installed the extended firing pin in my CZ and have been using Tula consistently for practice. When I do my job in reloading and make sure all the primers are fully seated, I get 99% consistency. That's plenty good for me. I don't even mind the occasional round that requires a second strike. It reveals any flinching or lack of trigger control I might have let slip in :)

So ya. For the price ($20 per 1k), it was definitely worth it to switch to Tula primers.

• 1 month later...

One more report. I recently got in on a group buy with some of my friends, one of which is an FFL. We bought from Powder Valley... amazing prices! They waived our hazmat fee and gave us a dealer discount. So my most recent batch of Tula primers cost me $19.20 per 1k shipped to my door!

I'm at 99.9% functionality with the Tula primers right now. Maybe one in a thousand goes light-strike on me, and I need to hit it again. And the reason for those failures are that I didn't seat the primer fully. Tula primers are fatter, so they take a little bit more muscle to get fully into the pocket, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've shot through over 5k of them and haven't had a bad primer yet. All of them go bang.

So if you want to save money, it's worth a shot.

Edited by LexTalionis

• 1 year later...

I used 4,000 srp in my AR to 99.99% , I think I had two that did not work .

But I just got 7,000 Tula SPP and in my STI custom I am getting 40% failure.

I am not happy about that. and I don't have a hammer spring with any more power in it. The gun passes the pencil test by about 2 feet high.

I have been using my PMC primers(I understand they are basically from the same factory as Wolf) I got back in 2009 when primers were in short supply,both in my TS in 40 and now with my SP01 with 100% ignition.I put back the 15# mainspring and have an extended firing pin,had too many FTF's with the 13# spring even using Federal and Win small pistol primers.I have used about 5000 so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought Wolf primers a few years ago when there was a real primer shortage. It was the only large pistol primer I could find and buy. I bought 20,000 primers. I have reloaded and shot over 10,000 rounds of 45 ACP with these primers in my Kimber. They have ignited the first time every time I pulled the trigger. I just bought 10,000 Tula primers (same manufacturer as Wolf).