Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yesterday I noticed something extremely irritating.

olp73

A year ago I built a super nice custom rifle, It turned out a little heavy for my taste, but I have learned to live with it. It has a triple port comp (Henning Wallgren), long gas 17" barrel with adjust. gas block.

Yesterday at the range I borrowed my friends insanely stock bushmaster 16" short gas no adjustments what so ever with a JP Recoil Eliminator. We where shooting standing at 40 yrds "bill drills". This rifle is to my great surprise recoil free. Since it is super stock and with a short gas system the only thing I can think of that makes it perform like this is the JP comp.

So why isn’t everybody using this thing? Because it is but ugly? Or it might not be allowed in all divisions. We shoot IPSC open rifle. Can I get this kind of performance any other way? If not, I am going to trash my comp first thing in the morning.

The JP Recoil Eliminator, or "the tank brake" is only allowed in open the last I checked. The JP Tactical however is allowed in any. I have one of those and there's only a hint of recoil as well (especially coming from a 14.5" carbine length with an A2 flashider).

I have a tank break on my carbine length gas gun and it Knocks down the recoil nicely once you clock it right side up. (Don't ask me how I know.)

If it was allowed in tactical optics division I'd have one there too. My other rifles wear a Benny hill rolling thunder comp.

The JP Recoil Eliminator, or "the tank brake" is only allowed in open the last I checked. The JP Tactical however is allowed in any. I have one of those and there's only a hint of recoil as well (especially coming from a 14.5" carbine length with an A2 flashider).

The Henning Comp, the one that currently sits on my gun is highly regarded and considered very effective. I do not think that changing it for something else of a similar design will change anything. It is just that the JP comp was jaw dropping and that it is hard to imagine that anything else is close unless I have missed something important here.

I think that most people without much experience with comped .223 rem rifles will describe my rifle in a similar way as I just did with my friends rifle. It is just that there is NO recoil. The dot (aimpoint) does not move out of the A zone on 50 yrds.

So I was hoping maybe someone could tell me that: yes, it is like that, accept it, or maybe my gun is overgased, lighten your bolt etc......

One thing you may be finding with your friends gun is that your balance is different than when you shot your own gun.

Its an 'Thing' that is common with sporting shotguns One guy try a friends gun or the New Gun he wants and he stands just an ever so slight amount more forward in a more aggressive stance and his body takes all the recoil over just the upper body.

I made a big investment in art of observation and this change in balance is not something easy to see with out an untrained eye.

And yes I think your rite the JP tank comp works very good

Most 3-gun matches are run under a variance of the International Multi-Gun Association (IMA) Rules. Even though the association itself doesn't exist anymore, majority of the rules have become the standard for the outlaw 3-gun. And one of those rules specific to the Tactical Rifle on all the divisions except Open is:

Compensators and muzzle brakes may not exceed 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches in length (as measured from the barrel muzzle to the end of the compensator).

I heart comps but "my buddy next to me" hates them.

I took my BC off my JP and put a Yankee Hill FH on and I had to "BE" the comp all the sudden.

HA- thats funny!

*** BE the comp ***

The JP stuff is really good but here is another option you might want to see:

Available starting today, I think, at www.firebirdprecision.com .

Alamoshooter was right about trying someone else's stuff. When you are trying it, you are doing everything just right, trigger control, stance, grip, etc. which always makes things work better. On top of that, if your gun is too heavy for you, you may not be able to get in the exact right stance, giving you different results as well. If changing all these other things is not possible for you, have you considered having the barrel turned down to a smaller diameter? That can take off a measurable amount of weight.

MLM