Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stop! Stop! Stop!

ErikW

Today we shot two stages on one bay. After finishing the first one, we left it un-reset, as we were the last squad. Shooting the second one, a squad member was in the start position for Nuevo El Presidente when I spotted untaped targets on the stage and yelled, "Stop! Stop! Stop!" just after the Standby command. We already had a few reshoots on the previous stage and I wanted to prevent another one. And nobody wants extra hits on a Viriginia Count stage. After everybody realized I wasn't trying to stop somebody pointing a loaded gun at them, they all wanted to know WTF and I pointed out the untaped targets. At that very moment I realized those were the previous stage's targets, several yards away from the classifier targets. I wanted to crawl into a hole.

Erik,

That's NOTHING. Check this out......

Last year at the 3 Gun Nats, I was a CRO on one of the shotgun stages. We were running a little behind primarily because of the time loading shotguns. To speed things up, I started taking the on deck shooter over to one of the side berms and would have them load their tube while the shooter on the stage was getting ready for his/her run. Then I would take the gun from the on deck shooter and give it back to them at the line once it was their turn to shoot. Of course, I would then take the next on deck shooter over to the berm to load their tube.

Anyway, I was a little out of sync with the rest of my RO's since they were now running the stage, with me hanging on to a loaded shotgun (tube only), and watching from a little more of a distance that I would prefer.

Well, this was helping us speed up significantly, and we were starting to catch up when I found myself at the berm without my on deck shooter and his shotgun. I yelled up to the RO in the scoring hut and asked 'who is the on deck shooter?' The response was that it was 'Matt'. Well, I look around and the first person I see is Matt Burkett standing their BS'ing with another shooter. Soooo, I start yelling to Matt.... 'hey Matt, come on man. Let's go'. He looked over so I knew he heard me, but just stood there talking to this other shooter. So then I yell 'come on Matt, get over here with your shotgun. You are now starting to hold us up'. At the same time as Matt yelled back 'what are you talking about, I'm not on that squad', a shooter that I didn't recognize walked up to me with his shotgun. Guess what his name was??

While I felt about two inches tall, the good news is that when Matt B. showed up with his squad to shoot, we were able to both just laugh about this.....

This sounds eerily familiar...

Matt, are you kidding me?? That wasn't you was it? In fact, I can't believe it was you because I would have remembered your name. I didn't remember who the other 'Matt' was, just remembered that I made a big ass of myself with Burkett..... :lol::lol:

Here's a good one for ya'll. At last years FGN I was shooting and all the sudden I hear Stop Stop! I look over my shoulder at the RO wondering what was going on and he just kind of shrugs at me. So I finish the stage (with 3 misses I think), I asked for a re-shoot and he called the RM. Come to find out, this guy had his radio clipped to his belt and I heard radio chatter. <_<:angry:. Good thing I did at least get a reshoot, but still bugged me.

I'm not sure if it was me or not....  Did it happen at the top of the hill?
Matt, well, I was up on the hill, but way down at the end. It was 'The Pause that Refreshes' where you started sitting on the toilet seat (although, now that I think about it, I not sure if 'The Pause' was the 3 Gun or FGN stage name). I had that same physical stage during both matches. I really don't think it was you.....
Come to find out, this guy had his radio clipped to his belt and I heard radio chatter.
BJ, sorry that happened to you, but at least you got the reshoot. What's tough about having a radio is that we are expected to pay attention to it (especially if weather is threatening) which means the volume has to be up. If I am actually running shooters, I always turn the radio way down so they are not distracted, but this will probably bite me someday too....

Am I going to see you at the Buckeye Blast (or Summer Blast)?

Brian,

My thing about that is that to me, the guy handling the score sheets at the table should be the guy with the radio. Won't be at the Buckeye Blast, but I will be shooting Summer Blast on Friday AM, then my Dad and I will fly up to Boston for Area 7.

My thing about that is that to me, the guy handling the score sheets at the table should be the guy with the radio.

BJ,

I fully understand. However, the reason the CRO's generally handle the radios is because 1) we have responsibility for the stage, and 2) it helps keep things from going out on the airwaves that really should not be on the airwaves! ;) Of course some of this depends on the stage staff and experience.

See ya in Fredericksburg!! Sorry you are going to miss the Buckeye though as Flex has promised LESS MUD (he didn't say anything about less rain). :D:D:D

Sorry you are going to miss the Buckeye though as Flex has promised LESS MUD (he didn't say anything about less rain). :D:D:D

Less mud??? That doesn't sound like me. :P

Maybe electronic locators for mags that "get dropped in the soup?"

Less mud???  That doesn't sound like me.  :P

Hmmm, must be my mistake. Looking forward to it rain or shine (although the monsoons we had today in 44 degree temps would have be a little challenging for both shooters and staff)........ :huh:

Same match, next stage... They actually trust me with the timer after the "Stop" incident. I'm on my best RO behavior. David Benzick steps up, I tell him to LAMR, which he does, but he doesn't put his toes against the fault line for the start position. It seems he doesn't want to because he's still mentally going over the stage, trying to figure out how to run it without tossing magazines about as he did on the previous stages. I'm quiet, he's quiet, the squad is quiet. I'm thinking OK, maybe he doesn't know about the toes, but I don't want to interrupt with a non-standard range command, I'll just wait. He didn't move. It was like a test of wills, to see who was going to blink first. He finally broke under the pressure and turned around to find out WTF I was doing.

Erik,

While my take is that you played this correctly, this is always kind of a tough call. The right answer is to wait for them to turn and ask why you didn't call 'Are You Ready'. OTOH, if you are relatively sure that they have forgotten the start position.... is waiting for them to turn around more disruptive to them (and their routine) than just pointing to their feet and saying 'toes against marks'?

Personally, I don't always know the answer to that question, and like many things, it often depends on the shooter. Thinking about this, I am probably a little inconsistent in this area. I was running a squad on Sunday and we had a few surrender position starts (and also several new shooters). I had a couple of people come up and stand 'hands relaxed at sides'. I would generally give them a minute to assume the correct start position, and if they did not, I would say 'wrists above shoulders'.

I would love to try to get a general concensus from the group here on this issue. IOW, if you are at the line, but not in the correct start position, do you prefer that the RO just wait until you turn around, or that the RO coach you into position? ;)

If I'm not in the correct start position, tell me.  If that interrupts my zen state, I either deserve it for not having figured out the correct start position, or I can always put my hand on the gun until I've got it again....

Nik, okay, I tend to agree with you and appreciate the comment. In fact, I think I will start a new thread on this...

Ah-ha!! Brian, I do remember now. I was there, but it wasn't directed at me. I was walking by when that happened, and the only reason I remember that was the guy had the same first name as I did. Mystery solved.

Good! I didn't think it was you. Weird though that I had three 'Matts' within earshot, that could hear me yelling for 'Matt' over constant gunfire. I must have a big mouth.... :P