Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back to reloading .223

John Dunn

There are a few threads already on my experience with RCBS small base .223 dies (essentially the same as Erik Warren's...stuck case hell). But one of the posts here was about a good deal on 60 gr. Hornady bullets, so I got a couple thousand and ordered some Dillon .223 dies, also ordered some processed and primed cases from River Valley Ordnance. It is actually fun to reload .223 now.

I just leave the sizing die out of the toolhead altogether, and use the 550B as normal (without the priming on the downstroke). No stuck dies, no case lube, no switching over to the small primer set up...life is good.

Call me lazy....but call me happy! :)

I use my 650 to process my brass so I end up with what I call "RTL" brass. It has been deprimed, sized without expanding the neck, Lyman "M" die to expand the neck and then polished. I find it is easier to not have to worry about consistent powder charging and bullet seating while dealing with sizing brass that is covered in lube. I found I can concentrate on each bettewr when I do it seperatly.

When I want to reload I just replace the sizing die with a universal decapper to clear anything in the flash hole and load the rest of the way like normal. I find it easier to do it this "semi-progressive" way and I turn out first rate ammo.

Neal in AZ

Run n Gun,

No reason whatsoever. I was impressed by RVO's description of their processing procedure, and now that I have their product on hand, I won't be switching. The cases are super clean with laquered primers (in case I shoot a stage with a submerged starting position). I was very pleased with the cases.

Erik,

Dude, you are a psychic or something. I got in a groove and went through my last two pounds of H335. Only stopped because the powder went dry.

Scharch primes if you want it and they list it on their catalog page. Your choice of CCI or Winchester primers.

It costs slightly more than what I can buy processed brass and primers for but I don't have to screw around with priming. Since I am still loading .223 on a single stage (but not for long...dammit) cutting out a couple steps is worth the extra couple bucks.

chp5,

Works out to around 164.00 per K. I could probably do better on the powder, I think I'm paying around 18.00/lb here locally. Definitely cheaper to process your own brass, but previously that had sucked all the joy out of reloading .223. Joy is worth a couple bucks to me.

$118/K by my calculations with commercial 55 FMJ.

Ouch, I just read John's post. Get surplus powder @ $64 per eight pounds (times four to pay only shipping, but not HazMat). I just got some WC846 and it's a dead ringer for W748.

Edited by Erik Warren

If anyone thinks the $164/k John is spending is a lot, I can beat that (barely). I am using SMK 69 & 77's exclusively @ about .13/each (averaged). Scharch 100% unprimed for .45/each (I leave-em lay). Varget powder with about 98 cents worth in each case ($24/lb, about 240 rnds/lb). A WW SR primer for .14/each for a total of $170/k.

Sizing off the progressive (I use a RockChucker) id definitely the way to go. I still re-size the Scharch 100% just to get it all 100% in my JP case gauge and get some real case mouth uniformity. This also give me a chance to get to know the cases and toss the real crap (there are always a few). I also VLD ream the inside case mouth, and chamfer the outside (helps with the light taper crimp I use). All of this helps make bullet release tension more uniform, and this tightens things over the chrono and on the target face.

--

Regards,

Bruce, Remington 55 FMJ, Nosler 69 BTHP, and some Winchester 64 PowerPoints, all moly-coated myself. The vendor said use BLC-2 or 748 data. I found the BLC-2 data closer to reality with the moly, which happens to duplicate my own 748 loads, which are hotter than the non-moly Winchester data. I just chronographed yesterday; haven't shot groups yet. I'll probably just load each bullet for a desired velocity without even bothering to test for accuracy. (I already know the 55 and 64 are crap plinkers and the 69 is a Sierra SMK clone.)

One thing about WC846: like W748, it's very fine and not case-filling. 26 gr is barely in the shoulder. I've learned to trust the Dillon powder measure in lieu of my usual visual check.